What looks right compared to what IS right?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

What looks right compared to what IS right?

Post by Carl »

This is carried over from another post...many might know the thinner Jam Nut is supposed to go on first, tightened so threads deform, locking it in place followed by the larger nut.

But so many see this as backwards, what is right is viewed as wrong.

I'm wondering what other items we view as being wrong...that might be or are right.

One that comes to mind is when my sister had her brother n law, a "handy-man" change a few outlets for her. She started telling me she finally found someone who will come out and do these small jobs for her...but didn't trust him as he put the outlets in wrong, was afraid to use and if I could take a look. I go over and the he installed GFI outlets as it was in a bathroom, but he put the third rounded ground prong up. While it looks wrong, especially in a residence it's not and I reassured her it was perfectly fine after checking them. I pulled one out and said I could just swivel them around if she wanted. I then mentioned in commercial applications many times the ground prong is placed up as a precaution in case something should fall on it...the ground would get hit instead of a live leg. After that she was fine.

Any others?
bob lico

Re: What looks right compared to what IS right?

Post by bob lico »

carl that post is correct from a professional.ground up in all laboratories, some hospital areas and health care facilities NEC. (national electrical code ) article 100,320.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Re: What looks right compared to what IS right?

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I always install that ground up. When I was working at the bank, all the sockets were ground down. One of the Administrative Assistants dropped a letter opener that landed on the exposed prongs. Dam thing looked like someone tried to cut it with a torch. It shorted the outlet but it had two notch's halfway through it where it hit the plug prongs.

Always ground up. Yes some times a pain plugging some things in, but better safe than sorry.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315