The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tail Chaser

Bastardo?

Post by Tail Chaser »

Hello all...
Anyone familiar with Bastardo?
Custome plexiglass bulkhead
AM general 6.5 diesels? Are those ok to run?

Thanks
Tony Meola

Re: Bastardo?

Post by Tony Meola »

Where is the boat? I have never seen that name posted here.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tail Chaser

Post by Tail Chaser »

Craigslist came up for me in San Diego says Bodega Bay.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa ... 95537.html
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The plexiglass is an interesting solution. Since it’s a converted Sportfish with no original aft bulkhead it’s not structural. No opinion on the power.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Les Claypool's boat...who-da thunk that ?! Mr. Primus himself...surprised he didn't call it the big brown beaver.

Anyway, try searching the marinized version of the motors under Peninsular Diesels for info about them.
My understanding is they are too light duty for the 31 which might be the reason he's only claiming a 20 knot cruise with 310hp diesel motors.

I have no first hand info on them...but can say they are not one of the more popular motor choices. To me that means when its time to sell her it becomes a more difficult sell...even IF motors are Top Shelf.

Otherwise the boat looks good.
Tail Chaser

Post by Tail Chaser »

When I found out it belonged to Les it really did peak my interest. Nobody has bass lines like Primus! My favorite by far.... But while I was in the army I really got a bad taste for that engine. Starting our Humvees in the cold was always an event! I couldn't find much positive about the motors but all the info was old. The only saving grace was that the engines were inexpensive. But I thought maybe yall would have some opinions too. Guy said to make an offer somebody is low balling him now.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Normally I'd say lowball so if engines are a possible problem...you then save enough in the purchase to buy a pair of what you want motors. Or if you want to sell boat your not taking such a hit.

Down side I believe they are high revving, light motors so you'd have to replace with similar. Its that or beef up the mounts along with the the running gear to accept higher torque and most likely heavier motors. It might already be done and adequate...but something you'd need to take a look at.

Its also possible they set the boat up to let the motors run easy. I'm putting in 210hp Cummins with the intention the boat will cruise 20 knots, that one has 310hp with a stated cruisue speed of 20 knots topping off at 32. Or maybe he just runs the boat easy... or the info is off.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yep, Spud Point Marina, Bodega Bay.
I’d admire her every time I drove by going to beach /hiking. (20mins from my house)
Engines turned me off, if spending that much Cummins or Yanmar better be in there.
Otherwise she looked in decent shape.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If the he is running 1 1/2 inch shafts, and has updated rudders and rudder shelf as well as engine beds then low ball by the price of a pair of new engines. If she had Cummins or Yanmars he would probably get close to his price. I bet it goes for around 70 unless the price goes up because of who the current owner is. Some people will pay for that. They would love to say this was so and so's boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Captain Decent

Post by Captain Decent »

I’ve seen that listing and it’s the 6.5 engines that don’t sit right with me. Those were never great engines in anything. Not terrible but he wants top dollar. Maybe it’s mint but 6.5 knocking diesels are an odd choice and will be a problem for you either while you own in or when you try to sell it.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

10 peninsular engines stack up off Allen Blvd, Farmingdale, NY . 10 cents a pound (about $100 bucks each ) the junk yard cast iron price is about 6 to 8 cents a pound so they will sit there. i have no idea why a person would want to put this engine in the number one fishing boat in the world!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:10 peninsular engines stack up off Allen Blvd, Farmingdale, NY . 10 cents a pound (about $100 bucks each ) the junk yard cast iron price is about 6 to 8 cents a pound so they will sit there. i have no idea why a person would want to put this engine in the number one fishing boat in the world!!!
I get .02 for steel...at this point I'm just glad they take it.

As to why some one would put these motors in the #1 fishing boat in the world...

Price and a good salesman
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

bob lico wrote:i have no idea why a person would want to put this engine in the number one fishing boat in the world!!!
He obviously never logged on to this site......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote:He obviously never logged on to this site......
He did not need too. He has more money than he knows what to do with.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

He confused having money with being smart.

We see this, from time to time.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Huh. Motors that are less desirable than my 8.2s (that have actually been fine so far). That makes me feel good about myself...
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nobody has more money then they know what to do with it...ask Mini-Mike.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I saw Primus open up for Rush in 1992 my senior year of High School, they were a no name band at the time. While Les is an amazingly talented bass player, I've never found any interest in Primus. As a bass player myself, I've sort of kept track of him over the years. Super surprised he's worth $15 Million and even more surprised that someone with that kind of money would cheap out on the opportunity to restore our beloved 31.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I said the reason those motors most likely went in was Price and Good Salesman and I'll stand by that.

But Price does not mean the boat owner got them for cheap.
A good salesman talking them motors up as the most best-er-est motors to hit this earth can have a Client Paying More for Less. Pun intended.

Buy cheap, sell high.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I wonder if all these negative vibrations about engines is giving the current salesman a brown note!
All good points though!
Tail Chaser

Post by Tail Chaser »

This is why I research and do my due diligence. Not only to pay the right price, or protect my "investment", but for peace of mind and safety. I almost never trust a person that is selling me something or needs my vote. Handshakes just aren't what they used to be.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tail Chaser wrote:This is why I research and do my due diligence. Not only to pay the right price, or protect my "investment", but for peace of mind and safety. I almost never trust a person that is selling me something or needs my vote. Handshakes just aren't what they used to be.

Trust but verify