Overwidth load Permit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ScottD

Overwidth load Permit

Post by ScottD »

How hard will it be to get an overwidth load permit to pull my 31 on a trailer? (In Florida) I have an oportunity to buy a trailer at a great price, and would like to use it to pull the boat to different areas around the state instead of driving it. I know the dmv does issue them, not sure of the price, or how much trouble they are to get.

ScottD
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

In Virginia, I think I paid 125.00 for a permit that was good for a year. You have to have it with you when you are towing and obey all the rules that go with it. It was available in VA off the internet DMV site.

Chiles
scot

Post by scot »

Some states require permit loads be "daylight hours only". FYI, you might want to check on that for FLA.

Most guys with the 25 Bertrams (me included) just go for it. I always calculated that if you get away with it a few times the ticket is a bargin. In Texas it is not considered a moving violation....ie no jump in insurance rates.

I think a 31 would stand out like a sore thumb going down the HWY. Even paying for a permit you'll be many...many dollars ahead of fuel cost. I would think that you would need to pick your ramps carefully, that's a bunch of boat to launch & retrieve. I suggest a truck/jeep type 8000# - 12,000# winch with a 2 part block. I have a Warn 8000# on my current trailer and it works great.

How much of a truck do you own?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Scott,
Up to 8' 6" no permit required.

8' 7" to 10' the permit is 20 bucks for a year.

10 to 12' the permit is 330 bucks per year.

The guy who brought Gerry's 31 to the shop on his trailer had no permit or wide load banner.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

did not get a permit to move mine from keys to lauderdale. very late at night and no problems.
DwayneHauck

overwith permit

Post by DwayneHauck »

the guys that brought my 31 from marathon fla to n.j. never had a banner, never got stoped but had a permit for being wide and they traveled by daylite.1 1/2 days to here
thereheis

permit

Post by thereheis »

check with depatment of transportation in you town, in texas filled out a fourm online pd 30 bucks they e mailed me my permit..

phil
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Thanks guys for all the information. Bruce, $330 is worth it if I can make several trips to the Keys a year. I can't think of any ramp down there that I would be able to unload on, lots of good ones here and on the east coast. My brother and fishing partner has a one ton crew cab 4wd Ford with the 7.3 liter international, I think its rated @ 12,000 or 14,000#. We'll see, large trailer maint. is costly, not to mention you gota store it, but I WANT one.

ScottD
Buju

Post by Buju »

Scott,
You could always tow her to a marina with a forklift, and have them take it from there. That way it's a bit easier on the truck, and the trailer never gets submerged, which is nice...
You're right about our ramps down here, pretty shabby, at best. All four of them...
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Scott,
Harbor Point Marina in Marathon has a great ramp. Only ten bucks to use it. We pulled mine out there. Just need high tide.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

This is a very long reply, so my apologies.

“Come and listen to a story of a man named John...”
Last year I bought a 28 in Freeport, NY on Long Island. I always try to do things proper, so I spent a lot of time investigating what it would take to get it to California. Several states required a DOT number to issue oversize permits, so that was the first problem. I am a private person moving my own boat, the DOT form requires you to be a commercial entity. The DOT representative simply told me to fill it out anyway; in effect, commit perjury on a form with warnings of dire consequences for committing perjury.
After much effort on my own, I gave up and hired a permit service to obtain the permits for the trip. They agreed to handle all of them, except NY. I said fine, at least I’ll only have one to deal with. I began arranging for the permit before I left from California to NY. I was told by the state office that they couldn’t foresee any problems, but they wouldn’t actually accept the paperwork until I was ready to travel. After I made the trip and the boat was loaded, the office said they would fax me the permit as soon as the NYC permit was issued. What?!!
On Tuesday morning, the lady in the NYC office took all of my information, let me know in no uncertain terms how busy and important she was, and said she would call me when the permit was ready. No return phone call Tuesday...
Wednesday morning, I called back and explained that I was in a small motel and that their switchboard wasn’t always occupied, so I was sure that her return call fell through the cracks, and that I was sorry not to have been more attentive. She replied that she hadn’t issued the permit due to a lack of information about my boat-hauling company. I gently reminded her that I was private, moving my own boat, and was told that she would review the application again and get back to me. She was *very* busy.
On Thursday morning, she and the rest of her office were unavailable by phone. She replied to my fax by fax, saying it was till under review.
Friday, I was getting a little desperate. New Jersey does not allow wide loads on the weekends. I finally got the lady (I never realized that word was a euphemism) on the phone; she told me the hang-up was my lack of sufficient insurance for a commercial carrier. I reminded her again I was private, that my limits far exceeded the requirements, that I would be in her city for 40 miles and less than an hour, and that she was required by law to issue the permit. She finally agreed to issue the permit, effective after midnight Friday/Saturday. I explained that NJ would not let me proceed, and NY would likely take a dim view of my parking on the GW bridge until Monday morning. Her reply was that was NJ’s problem, why are they so unreasonable?
She issued the permit, valid from 11:30 p.m. Friday to 3:30 a.m. Saturday, at 5:59 p.m. Friday. By the time it came through the fax enough to be read, the state office was closed. She also included restrictions never mentioned during the week; flashing yellow lights on the front of the pickup and rear of the boat, banners front and rear, and corner markers. I tried, but everyone in the area was already gone for the weekend. It was obvious by now that I was not going to be able to make the trip legally.
Fortunately for me, there was another guy who regularly delivers boats up and down the seaboard at the marina. Since he had come and gone while I was waiting, he came over and asked me about my problems. His advice was:
“You’re a private truck without commercial plates, and your trailer plates match your pickup plates. Just drive like you’re supposed to be there; a happy guy with his boat looking forward to some time on the water. When you get to Throg’s Neck Bridge just drive to the window with the toll in your hand like you do this all the time. Then don’t slow down until you hit Pennsylvania.”
So that’s what I did. No signs, banners, or anything to make it look like I was trying to run a wide load. I was passed many times by cops on my way across the country, and none of them gave me a second look. I had a bunch of permits I never used, and I never stopped at a weigh station or POE.
Now that I’m on the west coast, I buy a yearly permit for Oregon ($20), and none are required for BC, Washington and California. A permit is required once I leave the freeway here to my house, but I take the risk. I’m not saying that this is the way to go for everybody; Florida might be reasonable, you’ll have to figure that out for yourself. All I can say for sure is that sometimes it doesn’t pay to be upstandin’.
I also get a tremendous number of DOT emails, and letters from the NYDOT advising me how their process is continually improving.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

"Continually improving . . ." yea, I bet!! Interesting story though. All of the private guys around here with the big flat bed goosenecks haul loads that are over the CGVW of their 1 ton trucks, and say that DOT doesn't bother them as lonf as the truck and trailer are licensed for the weight. Same sort of thing you are talking about. problem is that is all well and good until you get in an accident and your insurance company finds out about and denies you coverage. I think you did the right thing and I probably would have done it too, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

good old new york, bc bertie what was the name of the boat in freeport. i live there. was that the one on woodclef canal, gregori somthing
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

"Captain Kidd II". I bought it at Grover's, and would like to publicly acknowledge how great Dante and the guys treated me. They made that week bearable. Nice people in Freeport. Now I got to come up with a new name before I splash her...

BTW, Rawleigh, I bought the 2006 F350 specifically for towing the 28. Factory rated @ 15k for tag-along, 22.5k gooseneck. Upgraded the hitch to 17k, and insured the trailer (from West Coast ABT; thanks Alex!) on both the marine boat policy and separately on my auto insurance. My insurance carrier knew exactly what I was doing, and I got them to sign off in writing. Lots of phone calls/pleadings/whimperings in two weeks.

Cheers!

John
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

John, when are you bringing your boat North? If you need any help in the Greater Vancouver area, let me know, I have a large yard about 5 minutes from a good boat launch in Richmond.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

How much does your boat/trailer combo weigh? My 2006 F250 diesel crewcab weighs an honest 8000lbs with full fuel and driver. That only leaves 15,500 trailer an payload weight. The only diff in towing capacity for the normal 350 vs 250 is the 350 has greater axle weight which allows greater pin/tongue weight. You can also bump up against a problem with the rear tire weight capacity. That is when a dually come in handy.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
i know the boat , dante did the complet rip out on my boat , everthing re done with new 230 yanmars, in a couple of weeks shes coming out for a fresh coat of algrip on the hull and a new rub rail . ive known dante for about 15 years, good people to deal with always treated me fairly, best of luck
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

John, when are you bringing your boat North? If you need any help in the Greater Vancouver area, let me know, I have a large yard about 5 minutes from a good boat launch in Richmond.
Thanks for the kind offer! I'm not finished refurbing the boat yet, so it won't be this year. I have a 26 Bert that I keep in Powell River and will use that this year. I haven't decided if I'm going to trailer to Everett and launch, Van and launch, or all the way to Powell River. BC Ferries says no problem, and the ferry ticket is cheaper than the fuel from Everett. Of course, driving from Langdale to Earl's Cove doesn't sound like fun...

Cheers!

john
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's almost always better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Right lawyers?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

How much does your boat/trailer combo weigh? My 2006 F250 diesel crewcab weighs an honest 8000lbs with full fuel and driver. That only leaves 15,500 trailer an payload weight. The only diff in towing capacity for the normal 350 vs 250 is the 350 has greater axle weight which allows greater pin/tongue weight. You can also bump up against a problem with the rear tire weight capacity. That is when a dually come in handy.
Hopefully, here is a pic of the rig:

Boat and trailer = 15.5k (aluminum trailer). That's why I upgraded the hitch to 17k. I crossed the Divide near Flagstaff on CC doing the limit (75).

I picked the regular cab longbed dually to give me the most payload possible. Of course, now that the F-450 is available with a bed and that cute tailgate...

No, I must be strong. Spend money on boat.

Cheers!
John
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

john
i know the boat , dante did the complet rip out on my boat , everthing re done with new 230 yanmars, in a couple of weeks shes coming out for a fresh coat of algrip on the hull and a new rub rail . ive known dante for about 15 years, good people to deal with always treated me fairly, best of luck
I wish I'd known you were there! I could have used company while enjoying the orange glazed chicken at the Imperial Diner...

One of the big reasons I bought this boat was that Dante had done the complete repower. Cosmetically, it needs help, but the mechanicals are first class.

Cheers!

John
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Correct, Professor. In my youth I used to haul my B25 behind a broke dick Bronco down I-10 from BR to Venice, some 150 miles thru tunnels, over bridges, etc with no permit. Me & Capt. Brent got stopped by the overwide Hwy. Dept. cops one time between BR & New Orleans. Made us go back to the weigh station, measured how wide the B25 was.....10 feet. Width cop said I was in voilation, owed him $120 bucks on the spot, cash, no checks. I pulled out the cash, asked for a receipt, he said I don't get one........now we are in Looooozeeeana. What is one to do? I had one of the first cell phones, got Brent to read his name off his badge, called the head of the legal dept. of the highway dept, a nice lady lawyer who happened to be the wife of one of my law partners, a guy who liked to fish with me. I asked her if Cpl. _____ was authorized to take my cash money and not give me a receipt. "Uncle Vic, hand your phone to him please".........

All was well in connassland.....

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

"Captain Kidd II". I bought it at Grover's, and would like to publicly acknowledge how great Dante and the guys treated me. They made that week bearable. Nice people in Freeport. Now I got to come up with a new name before I splash her...
Cheers!

John
John,

Any one of us Freeport faithful would have been happy to have kept you some company. I too, know Dante, they are a class group over at Grover's. Since Dante did the boat, why not call her .....now get this....
"Dante's Inferno"?
Harv
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

John,

Any one of us Freeport faithful would have been happy to have kept you some company. I too, know Dante, they are a class group over at Grover's. Since Dante did the boat, why not call her .....now get this....
"Dante's Inferno"?
Harv,

Ouch!

I'm just jealous I didn't think of it.

I'm not ready to burn her, but while I'm removing the flybridge, "Dante's Infernal" definitely comes to mind.

My current favorite (since she's a diesel conversion) is "Past Gas". The wife says no way.

In favor of UV's opinion of 28s and my father's flying the Hump in WWII, maybe "Assam Dragon".

Any and all suggestions welcomed...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bc
if i would have known you could of stayed with my wife and i,i would guess you stayed in the joey buddafuco motel were it all started, next to grovers
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

BC - Have you got a place in desolation somewhere? Sounds like you might be a Savary Islander. If so, I plan to be up that way in July, we might get together.
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

BC - Have you got a place in desolation somewhere? Sounds like you might be a Savary Islander. If so, I plan to be up that way in July, we might get together.
I live on Nelson Island - D.L. 6121 if you have access to a Crown map. Definitely on your way to Desolation! Keep in touch, we love to have visitors.

John
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

bc
if i would have known you could of stayed with my wife and i,i would guess you stayed in the joey buddafuco motel were it all started, next to grovers
Yes, I stayed at the hotel next to Grover's, the Freeport Motor Inn if I remember. No one mentioned a Joey Buttafuoco connection. Do I want to know? They changed the sheets, right? Right?

;{>

John
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

they probably sold them on e-bay