The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Bertram to Expand into Outboard Sportfish Products

Post by PeterPalmieri »

From

https://www.bertram.com/news/bertram-to ... h-products

Bertram Yachts
TAMPA, FLA. - October 28, 2019 - Iconic American boat builder Bertram Yachts is delighted to announce today that the company is planning to expand its range of offshore fishing boats to include a comprehensive lineup of outboard powered products.

Mark Paulhus, Bertram CEO, stated that "With the support of Bertram's parent company, the Gavio Group, who also owns Italian super yacht builders Baglietto and CCN, Bertram plans to spend in excess of $15,000,000 on new product development over the next four years to expand our portfolio of products into premium outboard powered boats starting in the high 20 foot range". Bertram has also indicated that the company will continue to invest in expanding production capacity at the company's Tampa Florida facility over the next two years to support the expected increases in volume.

The company is currently wrapping up construction of the first 50' sport express model which will debut at the Miami International Boat Show in February 2020 and will start introduction of the new outboard powered products at Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show next year.

According to Tommy Thompson, Bertram's V.P. of Sales, "The introduction of the new outboard portfolio will certainly allow Bertram to increase its North American presence by giving boaters an outboard option that lives up to the Bertram ride and quality that they have come to expect. As a result, we are also planning a significant expansion in our dealer sales channel over the next 12 months". Bertram's inboard diesel powered 35' bridge and 61' convertible models have done particularly well in international markets with products delivered to Europe, Asia, Central America and the Caribbean over the last year. Thompson further stated that "There is also a strong international and domestic interest in Bertram's new 50' open and sport express inboard diesel models and the company has already started taking orders for these products"

Bertram has indicated that they are in the process of signing an exclusive outboard engine supply agreement with Mercury Marine. According to Paulhus, "Our partnership with Mercury will allow us to achieve the level of boat, engine and systems integration excellence necessary to ensure that the new Bertram models deliver the product performance and reliability that the company has long been known for". Bertram Yachts continues to be an innovative manufacturer, inspired by tradition but always pushing to be a little bolder and drive a little further. The company believes that the no-compromises approach to boat/engine integration, along with premium construction materials and manufacturing techniques, will deliver a class-leading boat to the market. Randy Caruana, Mercury Marine Vice President of Sales said "We are excited to work closely with Bertram as they develop their new outboard-powered offering. Bertram's designs combine both modern luxury and sophistication making this an ideal partnership for both companies."
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Re: Bertram to Expand into Outboard Sportfish Products

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Unfortunately a builder can not survive today without selling a smaller or bigger outboard powered boat. It is what the go fast crowd wants. I don't care what anyone says, if you are offshore, overnight, I would rather be on a boat with a cabin vs a center console with 4 outboards hanging off the back.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony - This may change tomorrow, but Viking seems to be doing alright without offering an outboard power option.

That said...if you can alter your lineup to offer whats being requested, the choice seems obvious.

Blackfin, Albamarle/Carolina Crusiers made the switch in a big way. I have to think for a manufacturer going outboard has to be so much easier to design and build not to mention when something goes wrong with the power the finger gets pointed to the company building the outboard...no more, wrong install, exhaust issue, not enough air, beds wrong.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl,

VIKING YACHTS BREAKS INTO CENTER-CONSOLE MARKET WITH VALHALLA BOATWORKS
https://www.siyachts.com/yachting-news- ... -boatworks
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL...I guess it changed the day before yesterday.

At least the 2nd line is still holding up.

SIYacht Sales seems to be pushing quite a few of those quad 7 HBC's (Wellcraft)...market wants them kind of boats.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

You had your head stuck in the bilge too long. Viking pulled this one out of the hat earlier in the year.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

You had your head stuck in the bilge too long. Viking pulled this one out of the hat earlier in the year.

yeah...most would say I've had my head stuck somewhere for too long.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If it keeps the brand afloat and enables them to keep making boats like the 35', I'm all for it. I wish them the best. I think they will come out with a robust line.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I would gladly trade one of those half mil CC’s for five or six boats like mine. Or, two to three bigger Bertrams like ours.
I’d keep one and sell the rest!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I also think it is great and am always interested in seeing how the Bertram brand grows and adapts.
I believe development work like this has, with some time for perspective, provided further data about how the trade-offs of our 31s are thoughtful and remain attractive.
If they put a Seakeeper in it, it may loose some of its uh, charm.
Long live Bertram. Long live the Best Boat Ever Built!
RLDT Lover.
Possunt quia posse videntur