1970 Bahia Mar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

1970 Bahia Mar

Post by Craig Mac »

East Hampton Marina has a nicely restored boat for sale----pics look really nice----I saw it on facebook and have no financial interest in this boat-----looks like a good deal for any lurkers.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 431477485/
Carl

Re: 1970 Bahia Mar

Post by Carl »

Wow, very clean with nice work done in an original manner.

Does it come with a stern drive though??? or just the prop?
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

looks like they posted a bad pic--those 6.2's look brand new
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Even though those engines might be new, it is gas and even though it has been re done, the price is a bit high. I say she should go for around 50,000 but if they get anything above that it might mean the market for these boats might be starting to strengthen.

That prop does not belong to that boat.

Also looks like the bottom might need to be barrier coated.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: That prop does not belong to that boat.

How do you know, maybe its got a sterndrive kicker or bow thruster that folds out....would explain the asking price.

Maybe if we saw from a different angle...
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

No bow thruster or outboard kicker----just a picture that does not belong to the boat.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Craig Mac wrote:No bow thruster or outboard kicker----just a picture that does not belong to the boat.

You may not know this...but I work very hard coming up with such stupid comments.

...and you just reigned me in with that response, sigh.

Maybe we can touch on the name...wonder how they came up with it.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Years back, Walter Kapreilian pointed out a 31 Bahia Mar to me at that marina. It was said to belong to Alec Baldwin. Could be his boat.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I was at this marina last summer and the owner did tell me Alec had a 31 and pointed to a boat that was covered to the waterline------did not see it but had a profile of a Bahia Mar----he told me he never had time to use it.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Carl

I really appreciate your insights. Please keep them coming.

John

Love the name. My first thought was WTF?
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

Image[/url[url=https://imgur.com/fLQ5DdS]Image[/url[url=https://imgur.com/nPIoz1D]Image[/url[url=https://imgur.com/5tH5FI4]Image[/url[url=https://imgur.com/3z141iT]Image

Wow, It's a complete time warp/deja vu. That's what Priceless looked liked the day I first saw her. Agree with revised pricing. Without diesels she won't go very far in the water. She has potential though.

Image[/url[url=https://imgur.com/baGMFAy]Image
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

He's got all of that into it.....probably more.
What a beaut.
I've got mine torn down to the stringers now, hoping my guys have time this winter to start the build back.
If I follow my own advice, I should be all over that boat.
Damn....
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

If you want diesels you are still $60,000 short at least. He might have 88 or more into her, but she is still over priced for the market. If you paid 88 and then 60 for diesels, you will find that is about the cost to do yours the way you want.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Carl, I appreciate the work you put into the comments. (won't call them stupid) Keep up the work.
“Maybe if we saw from a different angle...”
That’s some funny stuff right there, kind of a throwback…but pretty funny if folks follow along.

Hope life is going well for you.
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote:Carl, I appreciate the work you put into the comments. (won't call them stupid) Keep up the work.
Thank you, it's a labor of love. Truth is life's just too serious not to have some fun when we can, I do try to poke fun towards myself over others...but sometimes an opportunity is left open.

“Maybe if we saw from a different angle...”
DanielM wrote:That’s some funny stuff right there, kind of a throwback…but pretty funny if folks follow along.
Yes that was the idea...kind of a re-birth with memories.

That was a great line Cam, hope you don't mind it being stolen(borrowed)

DanielM wrote:Hope life is going well for you.
It's moving along ok, some ups and downs like everyone. Busy years with work, kids in school,sports and college.
Thank you, hope all is well with you and yours too!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:John

If you want diesels you are still $60,000 short at least. He might have 88 or more into her, but she is still over priced for the market. If you paid 88 and then 60 for diesels, you will find that is about the cost to do yours the way you want.

On one hand I think we are right about the boat being on the high side.

Yes, if someone purchased with the idea of converting to diesels its 88 plus 60 so into it for 150k, 142 if wanting to be accurate. Alot of coin...maybe not the right boat.

BUT-

Looking at the pictures, other then the running gear and waterline down being a bit dirty the outside looks close to showroom condition. The inside is about the same aside from the side teak strips missing and the rear strip needing some attention, a few cubby holes show some age. Inside of motor box, the box itself show some age, but the install of motors and that bay looks outstanding. Cabin looks great aside from a few panels, electronics install look clean.
If wiring and plumbing are all up to the same level...

For 88k you get a boat in close to new condition. What "new-ish" boats can be bought for 88k in the 31' range?
What boats that you would take offshore in some less then perfect weather.

Yes gas motors...but many boats in this range don't have diesels or really need them...unless going distances.
With NEW 6.2 Horizons, that boat should get up and go and fuel burn should not be too bad. Paying 88 for the boat, a little more at the fuel dock won't kill you.

Gas= quiet, less vibration, less fumes.
Lots of people are not fans of diesels.

Its an upgraded original classic...thinking about it like that, the 88 isn't bad.
Consider the new 35 with the knowledge your not going to be traveling far...

For the guy looking to make it his, revamp or convert on a budget...maybe not so much.