Cleaning Eisenglass

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

THESALTYSATO

Cleaning Eisenglass

Post by THESALTYSATO »

I need to clean, restore, and polish some older eisenglass panels on the flybridge. Hopefully I can salvage these and not have to replace at this time. I would appreciate any thoughts, processes or products that you might have used and had success with. thanks
The Salty Sato
HotSpot

Re: Cleaning Eisenglass

Post by HotSpot »

I've used Meguiers #17 plastic cleaner, and #10 plastic polish with good results on light scratches and general haziness. Although it doesn't seem to help with yellowing, which may be happening down into the plastic where this product can't get to.

Most of my applications have been by hand on a small convertible top window for a car. All 2 square feet of it. For a boat enclosure, you may need to look into using a dual-action polishing tool. Consider laying it flat on a soft bath towel on a table. This is the method I used last time I did it for the boat plastic, except I applied (and removed) it by hand. That was painful. Next time, I'll try the DA polisher and a microfiber or cloth pad.

Im interested in hearing other approaches, especially for deeper scratches and discoloration.

HotSpot
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

I tried this IMAR stuff this summer with acceptable results. I will say it has held up well this summer. I purchased the 302 Protective Polish and 301 Protective cleanser

Directions for the 302 suggest a good washing with IMAR soap, I used my regular boat soap and got the curtains as clean as I could with a wash mit. I dried them and then polished by hand. This is an annual type of application.

The 301 is every few weeks. It has kept the curtains clean and I've noticed spray really rolls off, similar to that of a RainX on a car windshield.

https://www.imarsales.com/strataglass

Alternatively, I've heard that Plexus is fantastic, I have not used it, but a guy at my marina who is OCD about his boat swears by the stuff.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html
Reelcrazy

Post by Reelcrazy »

I've used plexus seems to work pretty good
Carl

Post by Carl »

Buddy used to say this stuff is crap, started using and now the curtains need to be replaced.

Might just be me...but I noticed I can clean clear plastic curtains almost forever with almost anything - till they just don't cleanup like they used to. Its at that time I'd start looking for the specialty cleaners which give back the optics, but never quite as good as when new and it never lasts as long.

I could be off base...just wondering if anyone has same thought.
Or maybe I'm wrong and someone used X on set of windows and their bud went with Y with clear results....Pun intended.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Plexus is great stuff!
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Thanks for the responses and the different products. Has anyone tried or used on a regular basis the "Eisenshine Restoration Kit"?
I have seen it on the internet and saw the video. Looks like a good product --but you know marketing - they can make it look great. Wondering if anyone has used this product. I do not like being a "pioneer" as they can get arrows in their backs.