Friday was a good day, met Whaler and final fitting of Strut

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Friday was a good day, met Whaler and final fitting of Strut

Post by Carl »

So Friday I make my way down to the club about 6:30pm with hope that after the final welding and machining, my strut will still line up. Bring strut over, start looking for a couple bolts and two harbor patrol officers come walking by.

Been a long day, longer week - I'm not really paying much attention but then one asks if I'm SIM...Huh?..sounds familiar, but not really. Then he goes Carl? online, forum...Now I am putting it together, then the "I'm Whaler"
Yeah, Carl - Sim- that's me.

Funny as "SIM" I always had in my head as just the letters S - I - M short for Staten Island Machine, the name of the business, I never considered it as a name to be read...sounds odd to me that way. Heard guys at one of the rendezvous introducing Sim...I'm looking around wondering who they are talking about, just you and me here buddy??? Oh wait Sim, S I M, that's me he's introducing...wow, did I get off the subject as always.

So yeah, Whaler came by to say hi, looked over my mess, got to shoot the breeze a bit. Sorry for not thinking of asking you and your partner up to the clubhouse for a drink...I know on duty, but I still could have offered soda, water or whatever, next time for sure.
Sorry about the lack of manners. It was great to see you again...90% sure we met at Green Point Rendezvous some years back.
Thanks for saying hi.

After that it was see if the strut lines up...Slid the 1st bushing onto shaft, slid strut on. Got a bolt in, nut that from inside, 2nd bolt goes in, nut from inside...snugged up...now it was center shaft and slide the rear bushing into the strut barrel. Then as I slid the front bushing into the strut...the shaft slid out of the coupling. Went up into the boat and moved shaft up to coupling and it slid right in, then back out. Pulled out the wedges from the split coupling to grab shaft and she turned nice and easy
Better then I hoped for, hoping next side goes as well. It was a good day.

https://imgur.com/V4cwUoh
Snipe

Re: Friday was a good day, met Whaler and final fitting of S

Post by Snipe »

Looks good I cant wait to get to that point in my project.
Jason
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m pretty sure you guys were at the same rendezvous where Capt Pat and Walter were there.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Progress. You will be there before you know it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

whaler goes to greenport on my boat but now takes wife and family. they will be on the Phoenix at greenport this year.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I’m pretty sure you guys were at the same rendezvous where Capt Pat and Walter were there.
Yes that was the one we went to.

bob lico wrote:whaler goes to greenport on my boat but now takes wife and family. they will be on the Phoenix at greenport this year.
Push him to finish his...said he was almost done.

Doreen wanted to go to this years rendezvous, I was all in too!

That was till my Brother in law decided to throw his "Family Picnic" that day.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you would really have to stand back and stare at first. i have a pretty good knowledge of wine and i was astounded by the wine that Bertram put out for the Bertram owners at the end of the dock. the food was equally as outstanding for finger food. then there the cruise on the 61 Bertram at 40 knots. i would definitrly sent a thank you but no thank you to the picnic. A man gotta do what he gotta do sometimes especially when he not getting any younger. yep! i missed a wedding a few years back for the same reason.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:you would really have to stand back and stare at first. i have a pretty good knowledge of wine and i was astounded by the wine that Bertram put out for the Bertram owners at the end of the dock. the food was equally as outstanding for finger food. then there the cruise on the 61 Bertram at 40 knots. i would definitrly sent a thank you but no thank you to the picnic. A man gotta do what he gotta do sometimes especially when he not getting any younger. yep! i missed a wedding a few years back for the same reason.

Your killing me Bob.

Long story behind this picnic...not worth telling, but let's say us not showing up would not go over well with way too many ramifications.

What's funny is the rendezvous always seemed to fall on the first day of the yearly one week we close business. It's pretty much set in stone..First day af vacation I'm either flying somewhere or tying up loose ends.

This year a lot going on ..we did a staycation.. would have been perfect time to go to rendezvous...but this yerar different date.

One never knows ...it may get cancelled..doubt it...but always possible.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bertram puts on quite a show last year even the give away Tee- Shirts turn out to be those long sleeve pro fishing AFTCO type shirts with the new 61 on it very impressive-, no cavier but everything else ---------just saying!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473