Technically we made it there by boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Technically we made it there by boat

Post by Carl »

...just it was not my boat and the boat was a ferry.

Closed down the place a few weeks ago for a bit of summer R&R.

Too hot to work on the boat and the girls wanted to go to the beach. I mentioned I wasn't in the mood for a busy place, even on weekdays its busy, just not to my liking. So when asked where I wanted to go...the answer was Fire Island, Watch Hill.

I had checked the night before to see what was open...checked availability and there was zero spots open...huh!?...hope it wasn't a mistake to go there if busy. But then with a hundred or so slips...just how busy could it be. It would be nice to go so that was the destination.

Left house early and off to Patchogue to meet the Ferry. Got there with an entire 5 minutes to spare before Ferry left...I love LI traffic, but it was expected. Back up plan, if we missed was Davis Park Ferry, then walk over as it left a bit later.

Anyway a Nice ride over, I think there was maybe 6 or 7 boats in the entire place.

Walked over to the beach side and Ahhh
6 lifeguards with 2 people on the beach.

It did get busy just after lunch when a family of 4 showed up too...

Around 4 we had enough, figured grab a drink and an app at restaurant while waiting for the Ferry.
Good timing too the weather was changing...as we docked back in LI the wind picked up and the rain started.

Great place, quiet, peaceful, clean...looking forward to the next trip.

https://imgur.com/VeQF0hE

https://imgur.com/VeQF0hE

New Yorks hidden gem.
PeterPalmieri

Re: Technically we made it there by boat

Post by PeterPalmieri »

1. You should have let me know, we would have at least offered you a ride or a cocktail before driving home.

2. Watch Hill and Sailors Haven now use the "DOCKWA" app to book slips. The weekends are $3 per foot per day and a two night minimum on the weekends in season. You can still just show up first come first serve and that doesn't require a 2 night minimum.

3. Traffic is awful, don't ever come to or try to leave Long Island between July 4th and Labor Day. We had friends out on Saturday they came from the jersey side of the GW bridge, took them 4 hours to get to us, 60 miles away.

4. Finish your darn boat and let's meet out at Watch Hill next season
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:1. You should have let me know, we would have at least offered you a ride or a cocktail before driving home.
If I knew that was going to be what we were doing ahead of time, I'd have reached out. As it was I took the week off...but still had to go in to get out 2 promised jobs...so I wasn't free till late Tuesday afternoon. Thats when plans were made for Wednesday. All last minute, no dog sitter so had to get home for him otherwise might have stayed over somewhere and drive at off times.

PeterPalmieri wrote: 2. Watch Hill and Sailors Haven now use the "DOCKWA" app to book slips. The weekends are $3 per foot per day and a two night minimum on the weekends in season. You can still just show up first come first serve and that doesn't require a 2 night minimum.

I saw that...looked on it and showed the place booked up ??? Also they now do seasonal slips I see? I remember the locals had to move every few days to stay longer. $90 a day...up a buck...eh, In the scheme of things, its not bad. Go to the Jersey shore is $20 for parking, $10 for a beach pass X 4 is $70

PeterPalmieri wrote: 3. Traffic is awful, don't ever come to or try to leave Long Island between July 4th and Labor Day. We had friends out on Saturday they came from the jersey side of the GW bridge, took them 4 hours to get to us, 60 miles away.
LOL...that is quite the window!! Think it was a 3 hour trip to and 3-1/2 going home. Is what it is, I hate it, but was prepared fo rit...as much as one can be. Much better by boat! 4 hrs

PeterPalmieri wrote: 4. Finish your darn boat and let's meet out at Watch Hill next season

Since I put the motors on my floor I have been tied to work.
Tough doing a conversion on maybe 2 hrs every other week...if weather allows.
That said, its coming along. Finally I got to hear them crank in the boat this past weekend...still have some hope for this season to run and test it them out a bit.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

next time give me a call, my boat is docked in bluepoint about a 6 minute ride in my boat to watch hill. fabulous restaurant and remember this; regardless of slips availuble i will dock Phoenix at watch hill. PM me it is a loophole in there policy.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob - - it was a last minute family day trip.
Next year if we get out that way, you and Pete will be hearing from me.
It be great to see 3 Bertrams at Watch Hill...hell its great to see 3 Bertrams anywhere.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

carl
dont you love the belt parkway
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:carl
dont you love the belt parkway

in a word...NO.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

it Would be fun if you came by boat and we made a weekend out of it. We are spending a couple days this week on the boat,
Carl

Post by Carl »

Doing any overnights on the boat?
Even dockside in your own slip it adds something.

I don't want to put timetables on anything as I am so far behind on my project I have no idea when she'll be trip ready.

Still thinking I'll manage to put her in this year to at least run the motors and do a mechanical shakedown...but lots of work will be needed to bring her back up to passenger/guest friendly.
Then again, maybe not, it just looks like a bomb went off inside...at best.
When leaving I just shake my head and close the door.

But if and when done, yes Fire Island is a favorite destination and would be great to meet up.
And I did not forget about the NY harbor trip, it's still on the books.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We just spent 2 days over at the beach, came back last night. The one major downside to sleeping with the windows open is having a large boat on either side with multiple water outlets to run their AC. Shannon didn’t sleep well and I woke up twice dreaming my bilge couldn’t keep up with the incoming water.

As far as your mess is concerned I have often felt that way with home projects and a few on the boat. You get to a point where everything is in pieces and there is no end in sight. A little at a time and you’ll be back in the water. It’s a once in a lifetime project enjoy.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

damm those guys with A/C !!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:damm those guys with A/C !!
LOL...
Pete, next time switch off the breaker.

Yes, that trickle of water can be frustrating...

When we used to go to Watch Hill the weeks were always like this...Empty.

https://imgur.com/BED2U0q

https://imgur.com/l1BY2sH

Six boats on one side and maybe 2 or three on the other and I think two were just there for drinks.

Thursday Friday Saturday...not so much, Sunday started busy...ended empty.

Not sure if still that way, but was when we just went.

Forecast was semi -iffy
Carl

Post by Carl »

I woke up twice dreaming my bilge couldn’t keep up with the incoming water. [/quote]

It's the Great South Bay, it's short water...no worries, boat settles in on the bottom and your hair will never get wet.

First night I ever slept out on a hook was in a cove off the Hudson River, it was Doreen, the Dog and me. I wasn't worried about sinking...just breaking free and drifting down river. I was half right...my stern anchor broke free during the night. When I got up I found the anchor line was straight down...all 100' or so that I had out. The Cove was 15' deep, river just outside the cove 125' deep.

PeterPalmieri wrote:As far as your mess is concerned I have often felt that way with home projects and a few on the boat. You get to a point where everything is in pieces and there is no end in sight. A little at a time and you’ll be back in the water. It’s a once in a lifetime project enjoy.
I think I shake my head because I wonder why I did this to myself again.

The end is in sight...distant, but attainable.

Enjoyable...I do enjoy getting past each milestone of the build. I don't mind working on it once I start, but lets say - when I wake up on a Sunday morning and its raining...I'm not overly disappointed that I can't go work on boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:We just spent 2 days over at the beach, came back last night. The one major downside to sleeping with the windows open is having a large boat on either side with multiple water outlets to run their AC. Shannon didn’t sleep well and I woke up twice dreaming my bilge couldn’t keep up with the incoming water.

As far as your mess is concerned I have often felt that way with home projects and a few on the boat. You get to a point where everything is in pieces and there is no end in sight. A little at a time and you’ll be back in the water. It’s a once in a lifetime project enjoy.
Peter

Purchase a high water alarm, then only the noise will keep you up. But if you are like me, you will sleep thourh it all and your wife will not speak to you all the next day because she will be up all night.

Ask me about the time I slept through a bad storm and tornado alarms. LOL.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Peter

Purchase a high water alarm, then only the noise will keep you up. But if you are like me, you will sleep thourh it all and your wife will not speak to you all the next day because she will be up all night.

Well there no down side there!

Where do I get one of these high water alarms?
Oh wait...I sleep though anything anyway and being in the Dog house is the norm...sigh