28 Bertram - Project Dreamboat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

28 Bertram - Project Dreamboat

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Recent episode was a 28 converted to a center console, a few episodes prior they redid an L&H 33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9NxjVhULWM
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Re: 28 Bertram - Project Dreamboat

Post by CamB25 »

Great video! thanks!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

That’s mine. Thanks for checking it out!

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Very cool and you did well on camera too.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks! They should have showed more boat video. The guy running the drone was unreal. Trying to get raw footage which was about 30 minutes. He also did a ton of in water shots. I am certain They look way better than me. :-D
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Congratulations Jim, your craftsmanship is superb and your end product outstanding! I thoroughly enjoyed the progress pictures that give us an idea of what you accomplished over 3 years.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thank you Tommy!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Very cool!!!
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

Sweet Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember seeing your posts during the build. I'm not sure how many times I looked over the posts where you were building the bracket and thought about doing it to my B25 but came to the conclusion that I would F it up. You definitely have some skills there.

It is amazing how nice it came out, great work!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'd love to see pictures of the inside of the console if you have any handy
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thank you guys. I will take a couple pics in there but honestly my creativeness came to a screeching haunt in there. Still unfinished. Lots of storage but underutilized at present. I am working on another currently. Added 4.5’ plus the bracket. Should have finished this one first but that is project ADD.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

wow...
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

We bought a drone and My son has been flying to get some footage. Thought I would post for those who are curious.

https://youtu.be/YwVcbfesB58

https://youtu.be/JeHPGmlU9W4
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

She looks like she turned into a really sweet ride. How is she in a head sea?

Great work, looks well balanced.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thank you Tony, she is great in head sea with the tabs holding her down. Tears it up. Little light with no tabs. Have to make that deep entry work! You can run 30mph in 2’ much more you are back to 25mph. I ran several props on it and plotted the mph vs gph, rpm vs gph and slip vs rpm. She does best at 3700, 31-32 mph, 1.65 mpg
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Daytrip,

Are these ob’s counter rotating?
Also, I’m sure it makes not much difference in the US, but in Europe where fuel is more than twice the price, it pays to have diesels. Looking at your numbers, my 28 consumes around half of that.
It must also be quite an experience to be up on that tower during rolling, you may need some circus training before you start climbing that ladder lol !
Enjoy!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

Hi Yannis,

They are counter rotating. My first 28 got 1 mpg so 1.65 is a big improvement. Getting there much faster too. I never thought a diesel 28 could get above 2 mpg. What are you running for power
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Daytrip,

It looks like I made a mistake in my previous calculations...
I’m running 240 Yanmars 4LHA-STP’s. In the US these engines are rated at 230hp, I believe due to emission parameters.

I’m burning 2.7 liters per nautical mile at 24 nautical miles per hour, so, 65 liters per hour, @ 3000rpm. For two consecutive summers I was cruising at anywhere between 2700-2900 rpm, thinking it would be more economical, but it wasn't! I was also told I was harming the engines by not pushing them enough (wot @ 3300rpm).
If you do the conversions of miles to nm and liters to gallons it should give 28 miles for every 17 gl., which appears identical to your numbers at 1.65 miles per gallon, the only difference appears to be the boat weight.
Diesel is also cheaper by approx. 10-15% over gas.
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

That’s a great setup with the 240 yanmars. I really wanted to do that conversation to my first but wasn’t in the cards back then. Doesn’t sound like they even make that engine anymore?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you.

I have no idea if they still make them, however one thing I learned is to stay well away from engines that are common rail.
They may be more technically advanced and perhaps cleaner and more economical, however, they hate water in the fuel. You'll ask, hey, water in the fuel, how come?
Well, us who are forced to buy fuel not only from our trusted home source in Athens (before we leave), but also in every little corner, in every little remote island in the middle of nowhere, there is a chance (lately a lesser chance, nevertheless, still a chance) that there may be water (mainly from condensation, not necessarily from malicious activity) in the station's delivery truck. And the filters may be overwhelmed by that water quantity...the rest is for anyone to imagine.
Last summer a Sunseeker San Remo 52, with the latest Volvo IPS system, had to travel at minimum speed for 12 hours to return to its home-port where the captain asked to get rid of all his fuel...you should see all villagers with 20 liter tanks in hand, passing by the dock to get their free portion of the boat's huge tank, to use in their tractors !!
Sometimes I long for those post-war diesel engines that would burn anything...water, mud, only if it was just mixed with a little diesel fuel...
DAYTRIP

Post by DAYTRIP »

To funny! Technology is excellent until it stops working. Old school definitely will always have a place.the outboards on my boat have a lot of tech on them controlling things. Under it all process is the same. Lightning is not a friend of modern vessels.