Storage space

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Storage space

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I currently have 6-8 offshore life jackets that occupy the area where the fridge would normally be, plenty of space out to the hull in there. I'd love to reclaim that space to keep other items on the boat, curious if anyone has considered possibly redesigning the headliner so that the life jackets can be stored overhead?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
SteveM

Re: Storage space

Post by SteveM »

I've thought the headliner would be a good spot for life jackets but have yet to make the effort to create an easy access door for them. We use the inflatable kind so they don't take up that much space.

And if you are offshore, they should probably be on your body. :wink:
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Steve,

We always have the type 1 commercial jackets for all adults on the boat, I've always had this fear of watching my family floating in the ocean in those $5 life jackets praying to god we make it. They cost a bit more and take up some space but it makes me feel good. I wear a fanny pack inflatable whenever there is nobody else on the boat I am confident will pick me out of the water. I also have a bunch of horseshoe inflatables for anyone that wants to wear one. The ditch bag and throwable life sling are up with me on the flybridge at all times. I removed the cabinet door in the galley and the life jackets are just ready to grab but its a bit sloppy and takes up usable space. If I did put them overhead it would need to have a mesh cover with velcro kind of like those bags they use underneath T tops. That being said I've considered the idea of having some triangular wedge back rests made for the engine boxes with some of the space being reserved for life jackets so they'd be our on deck at all times, just haven't figured out how to pull that off.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Best I have come up with is leaving in a bag on the V-berth, it's always right up against the wall. When we have more people I add the bag of extras there too.
Maybe if I glass in the front windows I'll turn into storage...but till then that's all I got.

Headliner might be tough...not much room between that and top. Found that out when I was looking for a place to put the pilots fluxgate compass. Guess you could drop it down some in some areas, hinge it for easier access and concealment..But seems like alot of work, for not alot of space. Plus dropping down seems intrusive to the cabin...at least my thoughts.

I used to store under v-berth cushions, but that was the horseshoes and less people...and less stuff. Had for a time in a net hanging on the wall...ok for two, not four and it was two here, two there, some under the cushions...didn't like. I did think about engine compartment as its a big space without genset or batteries there. But ol 440's did not have that spot clean as I'd like.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

I don't think there is enough room above the head liner. Mine are under the v berth , 6 type 1. The only other places is under the seat on the bridge, or like Carl said in a bag. I would not put them near the engines. If you have a fire, odds are good it will be an engine. If you loose the jackets or can not get to them you are finished.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

I would not put them near the engines. If you have a fire, odds are good it will be an engine. If you loose the jackets or can not get to them you are finished.

Very true Tony...

When I had thought about the space in the engine compartments, the first thing that came to mind, with my wife and two daughters is..."I'm not putting that dirty disgusting thing on me."

I am 90% sure I heard that from my older one on a Staten Island Ferry ride once.
Old rickety jackets hanging off the ceiling were pointed out to her...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There is a lot of space above the headliner on a fbc. I've put electric panels up there.
The wasted space behind the FB helm area is perfect for cabin access.
You will have to regrid the framing and put in drop down panels
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:There is a lot of space above the headliner on a fbc. I've put electric panels up there.
The wasted space behind the FB helm area is perfect for cabin access.
You will have to regrid the framing and put in drop down panels

Oh!...so you cut through the roof of cabin then use space under the bridge.
Tough to do that on an Express...well easy to cut,,,just no bridge to put stuff under. Although you could shove a bunch of stuff up and out of that cutout. Would look like a clown car gag...4 life vest go up, some ropes, emergency equipment, couple duffel bags of goods, microwave, cooler or two, fishing net, gaff, a few fishing poles, bedding and a tv... then climb up and shut hatch behind.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Either way my headliner needs a little love. After Labor Day I’ll pull it down and figure out what I’m going to do. At minimum I’d like to replace with a few smaller panels. Lose the teak batons and maybe have the entire thing in 3 or 4 pieces using Velcro.

If I can rig one of those t top bag type things and fit 4-6 it would save me a little space. Last time I had it down I remember the space being fairly significant.

Also checked today I do fit stuffed in the old fridge hole 8 offshore jackets and 4 kids. Lots of space in there.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Peter: I made a storage shelf above my headliner and keep my life jackets up there. It also makes it easier to access the bridge wiring as well. I put the hatch to the port of the center line so that I can stand on the dinette seat to have easier access. I built it strong enough that a skinny guy can fit up in there to do work if necessary. I love it!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

pete i did that modification a while ago.you were on boat already so this greenport rendezvous sept 6-8 walk in cabin and look up their are two hatches 2' x2' that have slam hatch openers on them with piano hinge internal so no hinges show from cabin with beige color openers you would not know they were there unless you were looking for them. i should take a photo and put on line if i get a chance.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473