Broken Shaft

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Broken Shaft

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

Broke a shaft 30 miles off shore yesterday. That was a long day to say the least. Any suggestions on where to get an new one? "Deep Blue Yacht Supply" pops up most often on Google... Price of fishing just went up.

Also, coming in on one engine, I could not get over 1500 rpm and 9 mph without belching huge amounts of black smoke. Even at 1500 rpm there was lots of smoke. I'm guessing not enough air flow for the load. Is that to be expected?

Thanks
Tony Meola

Re: Broken Shaft

Post by Tony Meola »

Marshall

Most props shops aslo do shafts. Also try as machine shop. The shipping cost to buy one online would add to the cost and make a local shops price more in line what you would pay online.

What engines are you running? I have 270 Cummins and can actually plane the boat off on one engine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Marshall Mahoney

Good point on the shipping...
I have 300 HP Cummins, 1-1/2" shafts, 22 x 22 4-blade props. I'm guessing I could have planed on one engine, but the smoke was terrible at 1500 rpm so I did not push it further. No smoke on your boat with one engine? Maybe I have a turbo issue -- but I don't seem to be losing power with both engines running. Don't think I am over propped because I was able to hit 3800+ rpm (but I have not maxed her out in years). Cleaned my after coolers recently as well.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Marshall,

It’s 12-14 year old info but when I re-powered my boat UV told me about a place called Herbert Machine in New Orleans. I bought two 1&1/2 Aquamet 22 shafts from them and was very happy with the product. I had them shipped to Freeport Tx south of Houston and even with shipping they beat the prices I found in Houston at the time. They were also called Bayou Machine and I still see an internet presence for them.

Like I said, mine is very old info, but you might give them a try.

Hebert Machine Works
2104 Peters Road
Harvey, La 70058
Phone (504) 362-9015

Regards,

Danny
Marshall Mahoney

Peters Rd is literally 15 min from my house. I'll check them out tomorrow... Thanks
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Marshall

I have not tried running on one engine above 1200 rpm in a long time. I only did it to see if it was possible. If I had to come home on one engine i don't think I would push it that hard and would probably keep the rpm so I was only pushing 8 to 10 knots.

Unless Cummins said it was ok to load an engine like that for a couple of hours I would think it would be iffy to push the engine that hard. I have to run an touchy inlet and only wanted to know what she would do just in case I needed the get up and go on one engine coming into the inlet. You just never know when you are coming home on one engine.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315