Replacing fuel lines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Replacing fuel lines

Post by pschauss »

I am thinking about replacing the lines from my tank to the fuel filters (gasoline engines). My port engine which has an old Perko inline filter in the line and this looks like the best way to remove it. The tank ends of the lines have fittings crimped on to the hoses but the fittings at the engine ends have a barbed end inserted into the hose held on with hose clamps. Should I go with the crimped fittings and get at tool to crimp them or are the barbed fittings and hose clamps satisfactory.

Any other precautions I should take on this project?
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Carl

Re: Replacing fuel lines

Post by Carl »

I would remove the old filter and replace entire line from tank to filter with USCG approved fuel hose(alcohol safe) and barbed ends. Attach and clamp with two quality SS hose clamps per fitting (All SS) and be sure they are the ones that do not pinch and cut the hose as they tighten or better yet fuel line clamps.

If you feel the need to go better, that is up to you.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Hi all
I replaced all the fuel lines on my 1983 28. I see your from LI, I used Mars Auto In Bayshore. They used all of my factory fittings and new USCG approved hose. Worked out perfectly. A little pricey but I was in a pinch and they did it the same day..
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Carl,

Thanks for the suggestions. I pulled the top off of the Perko water separator/filter and found that the filter element had already been removed. Since the o-ring was intact, I just emptied out the gasoline that was in the unit, cleaned out the solid particles in the bottom, and put the lid back on. The lid came off easily, which surprised me considering the way it looked from the outside.

While I was at it, I replaced the disposable filter next to the fuel pump. The gas that came out of that one was clean.

I ran the engine for a few minutes and checked for leaks in both of the locations that I had messed with.

For now I am going to leave the fuel lines for that engine as they are until I run out of other projects on the boat.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)