The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

VHF Antenna mount location

Post by Rickysa »

Any preferences out there?

Hardtop:

Bridge:

We fish offshore about 40-60 miles, and I have an 8', 6 dB antenna for one radio, and probably a 3 dB for the other.
Tommy

Re: VHF Antenna mount location

Post by Tommy »

Ricky, since you have a hard top I like the top mount rather than the bridge mount. Your mounting base is 6'-8' higher in elevation so your antennae doesn't have to be as long or bulky to achieve the same line-of-sight.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Tommy, my thinking as well (easier to run cable also)...what do you think about the "whipping" motion in seas vs. the "double braced" (ie base mount and hardtop support) of the bridge mount?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

If no longer than say 6', I don't believe the issue of whipping is a factor given the rigidity of the antennas of that size. I have them on my CC and they are pretty stable.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have an 8 ft Digital and their is no wip. The antenna is stiff it has no flex to it.

I would put the antenna on the hardtop if it is a 6 to 8 ft 6dB. If you go to 9dB now you are talking a 16 to 20 ft antenna. That has a lot of support and would not work on a hard top. They are usually supported mid way up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

As long as your hardtop has backing to support the antenna base your good. When I built mine hardtop didn't think about it and was cautioned about there was just a couple layers of glass top and bottom of foam and mounting to it. I was told they would of put blocking in before they glasses for mounting things.
Just a FYI. Mine mount to the frame of my tower (marlin). Like others say 6-8' antenna doesn't have much whip.

Good luck
1976 FBC
3208 NA