25 Bertram V-Drive Diesel re-power

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

trungie

25 Bertram V-Drive Diesel re-power

Post by trungie »

Hello everyone, I am thinking about picking up a project boat. It's a Bertram 25 SF with twin Chrysler 318 w/ paragon transmissions. Both engines are no good so they would have to be replaced. I came across this listing from a while ago. https://www.boats.co.uk/boats-for-sale/ ... port-1256/ They are Yanmar 4LH-DTE. Does anyone know anything about this boat or what transmissions they used to complete this repower?

Thanks!

https://expert.boats.co.uk/asset-files/ ... G-5100.JPG
Tony Meola

Re: 25 Bertram V-Drive Diesel re-power

Post by Tony Meola »

Trungle

We really do not see the Riva versions over here in the US. I believe we do have one UK member. Hopefully he will see this and comment on the boat. One of the European members might be familiar with the Riva model so maybe they will comment.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

seems like alot of motor for a 25' boat.

I am also not a fan of V-Drives.
they are such a pain in the rump to work on even when you have room to work on them.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

According to the pictures, gears are Borg Warner V Drive being in boards . Those engines are only rated at 170 and frankly would be a decent size for that boat.
I made a mistake once in listening to a customers repower request. A 28 Bertram came in for a gas to diesel and I pushed for the same engine in 230.
Owner didn't want them so I put in the 170. Empty the boat ran okay. Normal loaded the boat wouldn't get up on plane.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Pete Gibbons (on Facebook) in the Seattle area has twin Yanmars, I think 190HP with v-drives. Ill look for a link.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
trungie

Post by trungie »

I know servicing the V drives will be a pain, but there's something about shaft boats that I like. Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I to am partial to shaft boats, AKA inboards.

I think because I am familiar with inboard power plants and the drivetrain could not be more straight forward, other then maybe a paddle wheel...and I love simple.

I also like the idea of working inside the boat when servicing the motors.

But there can be a downside to inboards and that is access. When I look at a boat I think how am I going to get in there to service it. How do I change spark plugs/ risers/ coolers if I can't reach them or they are shoved up against a tank, bulkhead...another engine. Answer is I either remove stuff to get in or leave it till next time...or the time after. I think that also happens when some mechanic take on these jobs...some remove what needs to be removed, do the job correctly then reinstall and that is shown in the bill. Or they say good enough and leave.
Anyway, from the pic it looks real tight to work on...I could be wrong. Also lots of worse boat configurations...buddy of mine had motors in tight like that...but access was from the top or pull out holding tank, water tank, batteries... I tell you...ain't nothing like adjusting packing glands with two guys holding your belt and feet as you dangle upside down in a hot bilge.