Bronze Ground Plates

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Bronze Ground Plates

Post by gplume »

I have a single side band radio that I assume needs some sort of ground plate as there were 2 hooked up to ground via a copper foil strap. One of the ground plates I had cracked in half while stripping the bottom. Any idea where a good source for these is that won't cost an arm and a leg ( I got sticker shock from West Marine)
Giff
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

West, unfortunately for us, is like a lot of retailers who give a nodding acquaitance to the internet not realizing how much business they are losing. I saved over two grand on wiring alone by diligence on the internet.
I remember when the big box stores just made their introductions to the retail market and the construction material retailers who "deal only with the trade" watched as their business went slowly down the tubes. THis was not, in my estimation, because they were slightly more expensive but because of their hauty errogance. Then there were guys like Ferguson's who added real retail areas and real service at a slightly higher price and flourished. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
Hope West or one of those figures it out and quits attempting to rape us. There's plenty of business for the smart guys and the unemployment line for the rest.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Try calling Minnie's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach, CA. I was in there a couple of years ago and they had a crate full of new & used Dynaplates for short money. Google them up.

UV
BillinFI

Post by BillinFI »

To get a good signal out with a SSB you need a serious grounding facility. A regular grounding plate will not give you adequate grounding for the ground wave which dramatically reduces propagation. I do not know why you want a SSB unless you'll be listening more than sending. And, be aware the antennae carries real current - a good 25 watts that will fry your hand. A SSB is not just a big VHF. They are typically useless for communications less than distances in the hundreds of miles and more. If you fire it off in the harbor, the USCG may come screaming at you to find out what is going on.

I would recommend talking to an electronics guy or the manufacturer, but plan on at least 2 square feet of grounding surface. It can be a dense copper screen or other less expensive surface. This does not have to be external to the hull, it can be glassed inside the hull. You will also need an antennae tuning system. I spend a lot of time offshore and would not be without one - you can get email, weather updates for navigation software, Southbound II from Canada, listen to South American religious broadcasts and more!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Hmm, South American religious broadcasts . . . not sure I can live without that option!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

When I installed my Icom 802 sideband a few years ago Icom wants at least 100 sq. ft. of ground plane. I used bronze mesh in the bilge areas connected with copper stripping. I ended up with about 400 sq. ft. It is OK to loosly fold the mesh to increase the area. It needs to be as low as you can get it and horizonal to the water. The SSB ground should be separate from the boats regular bonding system.

The newer antenna tuners are automatic and will tune the antenna in a matter of milli seconds over a wide range of frequencies. Mine will acheive a standing wave ratio of about 1.2 to 1 which is real good. A sideband is near worthless without a good ground plane for the waves to "kick" off of.

UV