21" gunwale height?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

seamonkeyfez

21" gunwale height?

Post by seamonkeyfez »

hello all,

this is my first post!

I'm currently purchasing a 31' Bertram sportfish, rebuilt in 2019. the builder resulted with a gunwale height of only 21".
i intend to ship the boat to West Africa where we fish a lot of Marlin & Tunas. ive always fished with boats of higher gunwales & leadering an angry marlin or tuna by the boat seems difficult with such a low gunwale.

does anyone have similar gunwale hight?
what are your thoughts?

thanks

Fez,
Last edited by seamonkeyfez on Jun 4th, '19, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Fez,
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: 21" GUNWALE HIGHT???? NEED HELP

Post by mike ohlstein »

Welcome!

That does seem pretty low....

I'm guessing that mine are a little higher than that (though not much). One thing that I did was to scallop the bottom of the side and transom panels, so that you can hook your feet under them. Less likely to get dragged overboard.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
seamonkeyfez

Re: 21" GUNWALE HIGHT???? NEED HELP

Post by seamonkeyfez »

mike ohlstein wrote:Welcome!

That does seem pretty low....

I'm guessing that mine are a little higher than that (though not much). One thing that I did was to scallop the bottom of the side and transom panels, so that you can hook your feet under them. Less likely to get dragged overboard.....

thank you!,

sounds good ill look into that.
Fez,
Tony Meola

Re: 21" gunwale height?

Post by Tony Meola »

Welcome

21 inches does seem low. Unless someone beats me to it, I will measure mine over the weekend and post the height on Monday for you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Mine are 21” at the point about one foot aft of the engine boxes and 24” at the middle of the transom.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Thank you for measuring.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Tony Meola wrote:Welcome

21 inches does seem low. Unless someone beats me to it, I will measure mine over the weekend and post the height on Monday for you.

thank you Tony,
Fez,
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

pschauss wrote:Mine are 21” at the point about one foot aft of the engine boxes and 24” at the middle of the transom.

I guess I need to figure out a solution...

thanks for measuring!

Fez,
Fez,
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The low gunwale height is an advantage to leadering, gaffing and releasing fish. That is one of the many reasons these are sought after sportsfishing boats (lots of other reasons too). I can get my hand in the water without dangerously leaning over the side, that's what you want if you are bringing marlin to the side of the boat. At least that's my opinion
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have to agree with Peter. I always found this to be an advantage. Of course when I was 25 it was a lot easier to do than now that I am 68, but I can still do it. Also makes it easier to climb into the boat should you happen to leave the deck. Grab the stern gunnel and get a toe in the exhaust and you are out of the water.

I have never felt like I was going over do to the low gunnel. Guess after all these years it is just second nature.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

PeterPalmieri wrote:The low gunwale height is an advantage to leadering, gaffing and releasing fish. That is one of the many reasons these are sought after sportsfishing boats (lots of other reasons too). I can get my hand in the water without dangerously leaning over the side, that's what you want if you are bringing marlin to the side of the boat. At least that's my opinion

thank you Peter for putting out your opinion, i guess im not familiar with low gunwales... but its reassuring to know that 21" is the standard (i hope so). i dont think it will be a problem & definetly looking forward for it being an advantage!

Fez
Fez,
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you really think it is too low, run a rail off the gunnel around the cockpit.

I have seen that before on the 31...I do not particularly like the looks or think it is needed, but I am not you.
seamonkeyfez

Post by seamonkeyfez »

Carl wrote:If you really think it is too low, run a rail off the gunnel around the cockpit.

I have seen that before on the 31...I do not particularly like the looks or think it is needed, but I am not you.

she has that now and i want to get rid of it. i share the same opinion with cockpit rails. not a fan!

thank you

fez,
Fez,
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will definitely go with peter that 21" gunnel height is a huge advantage bringing a tuna over the rail and releasing a fish that is very weak and you help it get water thru it`s gills.i removed my panels in the cockpit entirely. rather silly why not add 18" to cockpit and perfect place to put your feet (like the kick plate under your kitchen cabinets) who wants to stand one foot from sink?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473