Trailering & I/O drive position

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

redcat20

Trailering & I/O drive position

Post by redcat20 »

Anyone trailer an I/O boat?
Do you leave the drive up or down, or do you put some sort of cushion under it at a halfway point?
Plan to trailer mine and it seems like if I trailer it with the drive up, it will put an awful lot of shock load to the trim cylinders, moving down the highway.
Any thoughts?
PCJ
Redcat20
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

When I trailer my B-20 I raise the lower unit and run an adjustable cargo strap under it and tighten it up as support. Walter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I have owned 2 I/O boats and trailered for a gazallion miles with my outdrive (Mercruiser) in the UP position....no extra support...............In later years when the outdrive would leak down over time I would simply tie it up with rope while traveling down the road.

If a support would give you peace of mind you may want to try one of those braces that attach to the trailer and extend up to the outdrive available at most boating stores like West Marine or Boaters World.

If you travel with it down you will most likely drag the skeg and or prop resulting in damage to the lower unit.

Harry Babb
hb
redcat20

Good ideas

Post by redcat20 »

Like both ideas, strap and fixed support from boat store.
Strap was more readily available, so strapped it is.
Didn't want to put the shock load on those trim cylinders.
Trailering it today, so advice was just in time.
Thanks.
Redcat20
Peter

Post by Peter »

There is a support available from most marine stores that is essentially a hard plastic tube with a slit cut in the length of it to slip over the extended part of the tilt cylinder.

You cut this thing to length for your particular boat. Then you raise the drive, snap it over the tilt cylinder and lower the drive until the support is taking the strain.

I bought one but never bothered to use it, though I never go very far on my trailer.

Peter