OT - Automotive maintenance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

OT - Automotive maintenance

Post by Tommy »

Hey Guys, curious about the maintenance schedule on some of the newer vehicles. I have a 2013 Ford F-150 with the 6.2 L engine and 80,000 miles that has only seen light service (no towing or heavy loads). Although the truck runs great and the transmission performs flawlessly, I like to stay ahead of the maintenance schedule and was thinking about a transmission flush and fluid/filter change. When I checked the book, it said change at 150,000 miles, which sounded very high to me. It seems to me that the lubricating qualities of the fluid would degrade well before 150K miles; but several comments online referenced that the closed system protected from contamination. Other comments ranged from “should change no later than 30,000 miles” to “follow mfg schedule, as the engineers that designed and built the product know better”. I can’t even check my tranny fluid as the system is closed with no dipstick; it must be checked by the dealer! Unless I hear incontrovertible evidence to overrule the call on the field (owners manual), I will follow the book. But I love learning from you guys so I throw it out for discussion. given that it “ain’t broke” should I leave it be til I hit 150,000 miles?
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: OT - Automotive maintenance

Post by Bruce »

Transmissions are touchy. While there are no combustibles to contaminate the oil, towing can create higher temps even with a cooler and can degrade the oil.
There is no stick from above, but there is a plug on the tranny right above the pan passenger side.
Jack stands or a lift or if a 4 wheel drive semi lifted you can access.

The interval on heavy towing that a good many tech recommend is 20k miles, non heavy towing is 40k.

The only way to do it properly is a proper machine flush as many torque convertors don't have drain plugs anymore. Read Ford dealer, not aamco.
The caviat is dirt is a killer. I've seen people with no trans issue have their fluid changed and start experiencing failures.

I do a bunch of GM 6L80 performance upgrades and haven't had a failure yet with my grubby fingers in it if everything is kept clean.

As I've told you, Fords history with auto trans has been sketchy which is why I won't buy another Ford truck again. Although I do a bunch of upgrades to their 6R80 6 speed auto behind the 5 liter Coyote and Aluminator engines when we start pushing over 700hp out of them.
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: OT - Automotive maintenance

Post by Bruce »

Gonna lock this out of general and put a mirror topic in hobbies for others to answer.