Season's over..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Lars

Season's over..

Post by Lars »

Short and sweet season up here in the north. But there seems to be some nature law that the weather is brilliant on the last trip over to the yard for winter storage. So also this year. Got the boat ready for the long sleep this Sunday.

Got a lot of projects done this year, with new engines and mechanical upgrades - more to come over winter/spring. Way too little time in the water during an otherwise fabulous summer, but will catch up next year! (and silently envy Yannis for his long mediterranean summer..)

Can't wait for May!

Yannis

Re: Season's over..

Post by Yannis »

Lars,

What a beautiful boat you made there...as for me, I came back 2 weeks ago and haven't yet found the time to post some pics which are scattered all over the devices...and I’m not a computer whizard.

Anyway, and for all its worth, in 2013 when I bought my boat it was already june. By the time I was done with all the papers and the absolutely necessary modifications so that I could embark on a vacation scheme, it was mid august.
So, I had just bought a boat, I had spent almost 2 months under the sun supervising various unknown to me technicians, who were explaining almost unknown things to me, asking for amounts of money that seemed almost arbitrary, and most of the summer was already gone.
This is what the first season is like, you’ll catch up in the summers to come!
In the meantime, kiss her a good winter and tuck her well in, like I did already, and like most of us here will soon do too.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Lars
How did you get that metal and glass to look so good on the lower wind shield?
Is that stainless?
Did you cover or replace the Aluminum?
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lars

Your season is not that much shorter than ours here in the North East US. Mid October boats start coming out for the winter. Some die hards stay in until December. Everyone waits for the Stripe Bass to show up here in New Jersey. Looks like a late year this year. Water is still too warm for them.

Come Mid March until April 1, depending on weather covers come off and we begin to wake the old girls up.

Have a safe winter.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I’m with you, Steve; thinking stainless window frames. I believe the Australian licensed Bertram 25 Rivas had SS window frames and some other upgrades. Your boat is exceptional, Lars; congratulations on your stewardship!
Lars

Post by Lars »

Thanks all!

Steve/Tommy: This is an Italian-built Riva Bertram 25. Riva bought the rights to make 20 and 25 hulls between 1970 and 1973. The hull is all Bertram, but the cabin and bridge were given some Riva updates - including the stainless frames. There is an Australian version as well (by Caribbean, not Riva), which is a bit more angular and voluminous.

Tony: Love the New England season, including the fall. Part of my family is from Boston, so am frequently there.

Yannis: Nice encouragement! Will keep the pace up with some projects this winter as well - hopefully not eating into next season!..

Home office early October:
Carl

Post by Carl »

Beautiful boat looks brand new...hard to believe she has some 45 or so years on her.

Boat is still quite relevant...shows what classic lines and a good build does.

...and of course the help of a great steward.

Yep...the season is winding down here too.
At least the summer season is...

Just waiting on the bass season to break, catch a few then I haul.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Lars---do you know if the 25 Rivas were all v-drives-----I think the I/o's were more popular in the US----
Lars

Post by Lars »

Craig Mac wrote:do you know if the 25 Rivas were all v-drives
Yes, they were all inboard v-drives, with the exception of a couple initial boats. A few first-year models also used the Bertram interior and angular windows.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Carl wrote:Just waiting on the bass season to break, catch a few then I haul.
Skitt fiske !

(Norwegian expression: "crap fishing luck" - the non-jinxing fishing equivalent of "break a leg". Pronounced "shit fis-kuh")
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Lars, thanks for reminding me that the Bertram/Australian license provided for the "Caribbean" and the Bertram/Italian license "Riva". Too bad there are no Riva 31s out there with those beautiful finishes (or are there)?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Lars wrote: Skitt fiske !

(Norwegian expression: "crap fishing luck" - the non-jinxing fishing equivalent of "break a leg". Pronounced "shit fis-kuh")

I have an expression here in the States that is very similar, it is goes "I have Crappy Fishing Luck " or sometimes said as "I have some $hitty Fishing luck".

Funny how things can be so different, yet the same.

...sorry yes, I understood your sentiments to mean Good luck, thank you.

But as my dad says..."if it weren't for Bad luck, I'd have no luck at all". which again is far from true although at times it does seem that way.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Tommy wrote:(or are there)?
Not that I know of, but this one is close. Looks almost like a custom frame job in stainless, but don't know any details of it.

Carl

Post by Carl »

Hmmm. Is that rudder further back then normal or is the strut and prop more forward then usual. Or maybe I am just used to looking at the old 10deg design on my boat.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lars

That cockpit shot really shows the workmanship. Really nice. A classic and the work on her shows it.

Carl

Picture angle.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The best 25 or 31 is a 28.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:
Carl

Picture angle.

Touche...

I deserved that...lol

Then again...in a few weeks, the boat comes out and we'll see.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, Tony,

There’s a beer bet still valid between you two on the rudders, or am I mistaken?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl, Tony,

There’s a beer bet still valid between you two on the rudders, or am I mistaken?

Yannis- I did make that wager, although I am not sure it was accepted.

Perhaps someone had 2nd thoughts...

It will be on the table till I haul boat in a few weeks.

Can't believe I am saying that already...
Where did the summer go? I still owe Peter and family a trip to the Statue of Liberty.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote:Yannis- I did make that wager, although I am not sure it was accepted.

Perhaps someone had 2nd thoughts...

It will be on the table till I haul boat in a few weeks.

Can't believe I am saying that already...
Where did the summer go? I still owe Peter and family a trip to the Statue of Liberty.
You do! Next year.... Stripers hit the beach by me generally the 3rd week of October and generally stick around until after Thanksgiving. We will keep the boat ready to go until the first reports of snow come in. Sometimes we can make a last trip early in December. Big benefit of staying in the water, takes about an hour to get the winter cover on and run antifreeze through the engine and water systems...We'll open her up right after St Patricks day!

BEAUTIFUL RIVA!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Nice! I really like the wood on the bulkheads and the design of the helm. Too bad the season is short!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Are you near Snug Harbor? I may be out there in May so we can have a beer then. It will be cheaper for me to buy you a six pack and ship it to you then pay all the dam tolls to get there and then buy you a beer. In fact, I could buy you two six packs for less than the dam tolls.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Are you near Snug Harbor? I may be out there in May so we can have a beer then. It will be cheaper for me to buy you a six pack and ship it to you then pay all the dam tolls to get there and then buy you a beer. In fact, I could buy you two six packs for less than the dam tolls.

LOL...your preaching to the choir Tony.

I can't even keep up with the prices, 12.50 for the Jersey spans unless off peak its 10.50, with ez pass its...
...and 17.50 for the VZ with an EZ pass its less, SI residents its $6.00 or something...poor daughter has to go over daily for school.

My suppliers hate coming here, it can be 60-$90.00 to cross with a truck. Stupid money...then get here and sit in traffic to cross the Island.

I remember the coin baskets to toss in the fare...If I forgot about the tool or was short, I used to be able to go under the mat's and find .25 or .50. Forget about it now no way I'm coming up with $17.00 in change.

Sorry for rant, its a sore spot...

So...your already figuring your not going to win ;)

Snug harbor is in and around where shop is...but its a small Island so nothing is far...just take a long time to get everywhere with the always present traffic.
My Shop is by the VZ bridge and home is by Outerbridge...boats smack in the middle on the Raritan side of Island.

What will be bringing you to Snug Harbor? Been there for a few events and a wedding or two...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Lars
that's how I want my window frames to look.
I'm trying to figure out if the 31 in those photos is stainless, or if someone polished the hell out of the aluminum?

Does anyone have any idea if fabricating stainless frames is possible? It sure makes the boat pop like new.
Or if we could strip the aluminum and polish it to a high gloss?
Steve Marinak
Carl

Post by Carl »

SteveM wrote:Lars
that's how I want my window frames to look.
I'm trying to figure out if the 31 in those photos is stainless, or if someone polished the hell out of the aluminum?

Does anyone have any idea if fabricating stainless frames is possible? It sure makes the boat pop like new.
Or if we could strip the aluminum and polish it to a high gloss?

You can polish aluminum all you want it never gets that color. those are SS frames...and yes its possible. Just not cheap.,,not even sure if expensive would be the right word.

Polished Alum does have a great look too...just tough to keep it that way...and if your frames are like mine...good luck polishing the pits out.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

If you could find someone to fabricate ss frames --- I would guess they would be at least twice the cost----it seems boat manufacturers in Europe utilize ss more----

For that kind of $$---would prefer fiberglass fabrication---I know someone was doing it--don't remember the cost.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I forwarded this thread to a marine window mfg company. They replied quickly stating that what we are seeing is a coating to look like stainless steel, and they could help. I told them I'd call them later to discuss. I'll let you know what I find out.
Steve Marinak
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Snug harbor is in and around where shop is...but its a small Island so nothing is far...just take a long time to get everywhere with the always present traffic.
My Shop is by the VZ bridge and home is by Outerbridge...boats smack in the middle on the Raritan side of Island.

What will be bringing you to Snug Harbor? Been there for a few events and a wedding or two...
Carl

Don't laugh, I am committed ( I believe) to help set up an Orchid Display at the Staten Island Orchid Society Show the first weekend in May. I am caught between a rock and hard place. Looks like I have to help set up a display on Friday and break it down on Sunday, and on Saturday take my wife it does not rain to Ocean City NJ, Craft Fair. If I don't take her to the craft fair she is going to be well you know.

If I loose I can drop the 6 pack off to you on my to Snug Harbor. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony- Gotta take her to the craft fair, especially as you have been given so much notice...

If we can't drink them together...I'm not sure it counts.
We still have some time to figure it out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Sounds good. Maybe we can meet Friday night after I finish up before I trek south for the Craft Show.

Will touch base with you later next year.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Sounds good. Maybe we can meet Friday night after I finish up before I trek south for the Craft Show.
I am for that.
Also keep me in mind if you need a hand on either day.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I will Carl thanks, but hopefully I will be recruiting a few other suckers.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315