how to repower with diesel with out a trace of diesel smoke

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

how to repower with diesel with out a trace of diesel smoke

Post by bob lico »

this will be a two-month thread apparently some of us are lost in the sixties. step one is your fuel tank was you 31 an existing diesel from Bertram or are you converting from gas-powered.there is a bronze top plate close to the edge of your tank.remove fittings then remove bronze hex fitting be careful not to mar up use Stilson wrench.this is the pickup you will convert to triple output. port, starboard, generator. not using a genset plug it but use triple output.next triple fuel valves every fitting on fuel feed, return or generator fuel hose will be threaded brass with" Coast Guard blue" hose Aeroquip FC332-10AQP RATED 250PSI 0606.there will be no clamps or any other fasteners on the entire boat concerning diesel fuel. a note here race boat is equipped with a foolproof fuel pickup that can endure the punishment of 100mph plus racing or your 31' Bertram falling off a wave and slamming into the next wave without losing the pick-up if you do your dead in the water.i will supply photos when possible.i should also mention next to this fitting is the fuel level readout sending unit this also has to be replaced to a race boat unit that reads to bottom of tank.your entire boat will never have a trace of diesel fuel.

Last edited by bob lico on Sep 21st, '18, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Re: how to repower with diesel with out a trace of diesel sm

Post by bob lico »

the manufacturer is Isspro products, part number RA9521-XXX ,TUBE LENGTH 21" use resistance curve 240---33 ohms this is the resistance of the most common fuel gauges. i will explain fuel gauge hook up in the ensuing months.at any given moment you can tell the amount of fuel in tank within 5 gallons.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob Patton
Standing Member

Post by Bob Patton »

Bob,
I wondered when you would publish "Bertram 31 Diesel Swaps for Dummys" and now I know. I have been down loading your pearls of wisdom for years, so that if and when I get off my fat ass and start to redo my 31 I will have some guidance. This just what I needed, Carry on.

Bob Patton
Bob Patton
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this forum throws compliments around like "man-hole covers" so a compliment like that from Bob is well received :-D repowering is like driving down a twisting road at night you just have to plan ahead,and with that being said we have to take time out with our diesel fuel planning at this time. like i promise this diesel installation will have no smell what so ever and the fragrance no difference then your living room.we have to move the diesel fuel fill to the dead center of the transom for a multitude of reasons for one we want fueling to be as distant as possible from living area, in addition, to never have to worry if the fuel pump is on port or starboard when fueling. the filthy fuel hose ALWAYS hangs in the water with just the fuel dispenser pump handle in the diesel fill. Whitecap makes a screw type diesel fill in 316 SS.use Coastguard rated fuel rated 1 1/2" hose across the top of the tank using 3/4" PVC blocks with PL to hold to tank then vinyl straps and SS screws to hold the hose to tank .the fuel fitting in front of the tank will face toward the transom along with fuel tank vent which will mount on same PVC blocks,the 1/2" fuel vent hose to exit with a 180 degree bent into right angle SS vent .this vent will mount adjacent to bilge pump thru holes located just under the rub rail 4" from the edge of transom. this very important step will play later on as we move forward the old fuel fill location will be in the way of our triple rod holders and black water pump out cap, as a matter of fact, you can use the hole thru the gunnel from old fuel refill for the same hole for black water or waste pump out location require by law in all boats with flushable heads in US waters.to some of our brothers this post with reference to the wastewater may seem like we are off repower subject but it all ties in.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob... I hate to be the guy that reads the last few pages to see how things turn out...but wondering if this will be Strictly Cummings or applicable to Cats, Yanmars , Perkins and yes the smokers Volvos for non smoking diesels.

I want Cummins but know that if a pair of --------- fill in the blank come along at the right price, I'm buying.

Sorry, had to ask.

In any case I will be reading with great enthusiasm as you have put together a great package for cruising, fishing and everything between.

Put a buds new to him boat on Friday. 240 Yanmars in a 27 Albamarle....oh so sweet. Aside from low rpm shake they are so sweet at cruise.

Thanks for sharing Bob! Always great to know the pinnacle strategy.

Curious as to why the high grade shut off valves? I had and pulled out as they hung up so went with less $$ Perkin if I recall. Yes, barbed with clamps but they open and closed smooth.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

You know full well that we toss those man hold covers around like poker chips in a high stakes game.

We all love your thoughts on how to improve how a boat runs. I believe you are the only one on this board who raced boats and needed to really understand all the dynamics needed to improve our little gems.

Now for various reasons in our rebuilds we may not be be able to follow every step, but at least you have given us the knowledge to make that decidion.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I await the next post
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this repower thread can be applied to any powerplant my problem is i could explain a statement with an entire post but i will leave that to PM`S or for some phone text. example; you need to have three-rod holders on each side of the cockpit evenly spaced. obviouly long rigger, short rigger, and the last for spreader bars however same three for drifting for fluke or shark but your not a fisherman ok the middle rod holder is located midway from pillar to transom to install ss grab bar for the elderly to enter boat or anybody who needs a hand on something solid for stability to enter boat this is one reason why the fuel refill is relocated but most important for carl not to past judgement the refill hose in stock location passers under stringer than back up to tank this causes a 1 1/2" by four foot volume of diesel fuel to sit in hose at all times that will cause a detectable diesel odor in cockpit ,i promise zero detectable diesel odor this is one step. as you see i can go on and on with a simple request for fuel fill relocation and never move on to essential repower so just "do it". we take our three feeds and move forward from the "correct" fuel shut off valves that are rated " class one division one " by NFP there will Never be a fire due to diesel fuel leak on this repowering of a 31 Bertram!!!!!!! next we install an algae X 1/2" thread (500 series) filter to put all the diesel fuel molecules in line so the Racor filter can block a 30 micron dirt particle and larger . the port and starboard fuel lines mounted on top of the tank will now roll off to their respective port or starboard side with the generator feed on the port. i placed an inline shut off valve on Both sides of Racor filter to be able to change filter 100 miles offshore without losing prime this is not essential unless you take your Bertram offshore.now the controversial procedure a normal repower yard would never do. i locate the racors under the forward hatches in the cockpit for three reasons number one easy access to change filters, to keep the fuel as cool as possible as added performance in light of the fact heat in the normal location is in excess off 200 degrees but think about this fuel block is located on mid-engine WHY go to main bulkhead then back to mid-engine with fuel feed.go directly from racor output to fuel block. on the forward quarter of your fuel tank is a bronze plate that will have a triple output THREADED like all other fuel line both feed and return, 5/16" ID return for the generator and 7/16" return for engine fuel return directly from fuel injection pump output or fuel block on some engines.i have a 500g racor dedicated for generator this is not essential but enough can not be said with regards to keeping fuel clean .

Last edited by bob lico on Sep 25th, '18, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the generator raccor is located adjacent to the generator in the port engine compartment.i also use this raccor for WIF detection fuel is common to all three racors so only one (WIF) water in fuel alarm is needed. bottom photo when fuel fill is relocated space is clear when you install fish or storage boxes on port and starboard side of cockpit.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

clear compartment for fish boxes.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bump