Garmin 721xs

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Garmin 721xs

Post by Yannis »

I am completely ignorant about recent technology...

My current Simrad GPS is giving me a hard time, to make the long story short, I found a Garmin 721 xs for less than half price (a friend bought it, but found it not suitable for his needs, mainly too small, and is selling it after a couple of trips).

Can anyone give me some advice on whether it’s reliable or worth the purchase?
I do not have a depth finder and unless it’s very simple to install one (eye) without a through hull, I will continue like this, so really it’s the maps while cruising that I’m mostly concerned with.

Any advice on this device or any better alternatives that I could consider are more than welcome.

Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Re: Garmin 721xs

Post by PeterPalmieri »

If you are just looking for the chart plotter with a built in antenna and you are comfortable with a 7" screen it will do what you need. I have a pair of the new 742XS, touch screens and am very happy with them. The obvious thing is screen size, I flush mounted mine on the dash but if I was mounting them with the traditional bracket on a flat surface I would much prefer a larger screen.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Also make sure Garmin still supports them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete, thanks.

Finally we should clearly admit that all our boating experiences derive from where we do it....

Let me explain:

I removed the compass from the top center position of the dash, because what is of primary importance is not....where you're going, but rather the next wave!
I put the compass somewhere below, mainly for the insurance, afterall if I need a compass (foggy, night, rain,...) that means I shouldn't be cruising. And I don't, nobody does.

What’s next important? To be able to follow your route as close as possible, without having to turn your head left or right, because .....you’ll miss that wave, and its gonna hurt.
So, the gps goes in the top middle, BUT, it cannot be like a TV because then, you cannot see that wave...
So, 7 inches is plenty, my Simrad is smaller, however the biiiig difference is the touch screen. I now have to play with the button and the vertical lines to bring the two islands on the same screen, what a pain.

So if size is OK, are the rest of the features of this Garmin OK too, or is it a leftover from last century, thanks Rawleigh.

Thanks.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:Also make sure Garmin still supports them.

Now ain't that the truth...bought my last Garmin just prior to Sandy. Pulled unit and left in shop office till I put boat back in year 2 years ago. Backlights for screen died...AKA- basically a blank screen. Garmin no longer supports it. Used a month or two, sat in an office 4 years and dead unit.

Garmin unit before that had problems with water intrusion. Since I got it the unit was back and forth for the same problem, till warranty ran out. They gave me an attitude as it seemed they were doing me a favor fixing the unit...they didn't seem to care it was used in a lower helm with an occasion splash...not out in the open, on a bridge in the tower.

Yannis, take what I said with a grain of salt...I have always had issues finding in finding faults and glitches in toys, machines, computers, plotters etc. Can't tell you the times a service tech has come over to me and say...been doing this for years, never seen this kind of thing happen before.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl wrote:...been doing this for years, never seen this kind of thing happen before.
Ain't that the story of my life
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, I hear you boys...I’m the same damn it!

At least, tell me if it’s a good device quality wise, or if at least it’s contemporary, that is, it doesn't run with steam of some sort.
I’ll do the rest with my local dealer in terms of support etc. thanks for bringing up this issue.
By the way, how long shall I expect a warranty, or better, a back up service function to last?

Thanks.