Installation of FloScans

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DaveB

Installation of FloScans

Post by DaveB »

Hello all - Looking for some advice on installing FloScans - Instructions say install sensor at lowest point of fuel line, after fuel filters - since I have carburated inboards, Flo Scan instructions requires pulsator installed at least 12 inches from sensor and at least 2" rise between those units.

My problem is I have engine mounted fuel filters with a very short line (copper tubing) running down to the internal diaphram fuel pump (GM small block V8) - no room for the sensor and pulsator units and the configurations would be backwards since the pulsator would be downhill from the sensor.

I was thinking of installing second set of filters further down the fuel line, then sensor before the primary engine mounted filters - then install pulsator at the engine mounted filters at the point the line enters the filter housing.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated- Thanks.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Dave
Whats the chance that you can just relocate the existing fuel filters???

You described the fuel line as a piece of "Copper Tubing".........Copper tubing is not a good idea for fuel line..........I would suggest that you replace it with steel tubing.

Keep us posted

Harry Babb
hb
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I set mine up right off the tanks where the fuel lines come thru the bulkhead and used an additional small filter prio to the flwscn, as opposed to messing with the primary fuel filters which were mounted on the engines.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Fuel Filters?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I remember Ernest, when one engine sputtered to a stop off Port Eads (Rawleigh was there as a witness, probably Randall), and we determined it was a clogged fuel filter, saying, "No problem - I brought A spare." One spare, for a trip from Galveston to the wilds of the Louisiana delta, buying gas from all kinds of pirates along the way. The trusty Hyena boat carried us through the journey admirably, however, if I had known about the small filters in front of the Flowscans, I might have worried more about them plugging, also.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

It was not a critical part anyway. It merely protects the sensor. Each engine was always protected with other fuel filters (a separator and then another inline filter), and prior to the installation of the the flowscans, that boat had racked up 1000's of hours with that fuel filtering set up.

Of course, had I needed to, I came with all the parts to simply unplug the little filter, and plumb around it. Only brought one spare because I had changed out the other one at the dock immediately before we left.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Oh, I remember that as well Mike! I thought it might have been Walter with us - I can't remember. It was a great trip up until the cup of black goo hit the filter!! I'm glad it was an easy fix. I was impressed by the Hyena on that trip. It was the first time I had been out on one.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was on the two trips after that and was also impressed by both the room and the comfort level of the ride. As a 31 owner, I suspect the Hyenaboat may be dryer even though I don't feel there's more flair in the bow. Walter
DaveB

Installing Flo Scans

Post by DaveB »

Thanks all for the advice - I'll let you know how the project progresses.

On another issue - launched with the gate valves closed to the raw water strainers - opened them up then started both engines - both quickly pegged the engine temp guages - shut them down and let the engines cool, then restarted with engine temps and guages reading normal - could this have been an air lock in the raw water intake lines?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Could be. If I were you I would replace the gate valves with ball valves ASAP.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

and you might need new impellers, might have cooked them