28 days in a Bertram 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

28 days in a Bertram 31

Post by Amberjack »

On July 10 my wife Randy and I loaded Amberjack with supplies and left for British Columbia finally topping out at Okisollo Channel. We returned to the dock at Elliott Bay in Seattle on August 7-- 28 days, approximately 320 gallons diesel and 500 nautical miles later. Mostly we anchored out in the small coves they have all over up there with periodic overnights at a marina to do laundry, provision and get a full on hot shower. We had a great trip and discovered two people really can survive 28 days a Bertram 31-- if you really like the other person. Here's what we discovered:

These boats will take a lot more punishment than the operators. When we crossed the Straits of Georgia we were encrusted in salt by the time we arrived in Pender Harbor.

Groceries are cheap and the food quality is better in BC. Excellent steaks $12/lb, great fresh sockeye salmon $14/lb, wonderful huge heads of romaine $2.50 ea, fresh bakery bread $2.25 loaf. Those prices are C$ so knock off another 25%. Canadians complain about their prices but food was a heck of a lot cheaper up there and it looked and tasted better than what we get in Seattle.

We could stock the boat with food for max 5 days. By the 5th day we were usually eating canned tuna on stale crackers. Water wasn't an issue, we carried four extra 2.5 gal containers and used those for drinking water. Our domestic water tank holds 30 gallons.

You have to get used to not getting completely clean. We carried two solar showers and used them daily, but still its a solar shower and not a home shower with real hot water. Like I say, you really have to like the other person.

Fuel however is more expensive. Highest price we saw: U$6.00/gal in Refuge Cove vs U$3.49/gal in Friday Harbor Washington State. Their gas is more expensive than diesel.

Canadians apparently don't carry a grudge. They were all friendly.

The orcas don't stand a chance. Every pod of whales we encountered had 10-15 whale watch boats idling around them. Its hard to imagine how they locate prey, socialize and recreate in these circumstances. The whale watch skippers come up on the VHF by 8 in the morning triangulating the whales and most boats are making multiple trips daily. Orcas are a big business.

Except for a Hynautics issue we would have stayed another week and circumnavigated Sonora Island. Next year we will.

Thought some of you might be interested.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
John F.

Re: 28 days in a Bertram 31

Post by John F. »

Great post. Thanks. Sounds like a great trip.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Doug

Sounds like a great trip. Well planned out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Lars

Post by Lars »

Great - Sounds fun! Proper Scandinavian-style boating. I will have to aim for telling you about 31 days in a 25 next year..
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Great!

I can tell you about the 100 days on a B28, every summer.
When I come back to civilization I will post pics from this summer’s expedition, early October I presume....
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Great Story, thanks for sharing!
Inspiration and insight for those wanting to do the same type of travel but aren't quite there yet...
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Yannis wrote:Great!

I can tell you about the 100 days on a B28, every summer.
When I come back to civilization I will post pics from this summer’s expedition, early October I presume....

Yannis I look forward to seeing your post. And if I ever figure out our image posting work I'll reciprocate and send pictures of the spectacular scenery in northern BC. Once you get past Lund where the road ends on the mainland all the small boat and casual traffic drops away quickly. Frequently we could look 360 degrees and not see a single boat or man made structure.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Post by Carl »

2 weeks was the most I have done...like to say we were in remote area's, but not quite.
Although anchored in a small Cove off the Hudson River overnight it did feel like we were the only ones around for miles...till the freight train came through the valley.

Cabin is snug, but doable.

A lesson I learned on that trip, if you anchor up overnight and bring a dog that will not defecate on the boat, bring a raft.
An early morning swim in cold water to walk the dog is not pleasant.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

It certainly is a beautiful part of the world, I am glad you made it past surge narrows into Okisollo channel. Wiatt Bay is one of my favourite anchorages. To get clean, you have to swim in Cassel Lake above the falls in Teakearne Arm, cleanest water anywhere. Being in a fast boat,going through surge narrows or Dent rapids at full current flow is a really exhilarating spectacle. Before you go next year (which you will do because once is not nearly enough) PM me I have a few secret anchorages that are worth checking out. I spent every summer from age 10 to 30 exploring that area!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Amberjack, Rocket,

I’m just jealous. This is a land I reminisce from my childhood, from the pictures on the large wall calendars, whereby in the winter months there would be these beautiful snowed mountains and their reflection on the sea, into those scenic bays, in the spring and summer months there would be those flowered green spaces and valleys; both unseen sceneries, so beautiful, so far away...
Who knows, one day I’ll be able to visit, enjoy your boating in this great scenery.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing. Here I am feeling good about 3 nights in a row on our 31' (with a 3 & 5 year old, but still!) and you come along and totally raise the bar. Awesome!!!
Max