Sealing around the instrument panel

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Sealing around the instrument panel

Post by pschauss »

As you all can see from my previous question about grounds on the flying bride, I have been working around the instrument panel. Among other things I have been trying to get the starter buttons up there to work and replacing my ammeters with volt meters (per Bob Lico's suggestion). As part of the process I pulled up the instrument panel. The joint between the panel and the fiberglass dashboard appears to have been sealed with something about the consistency of silly putty or modeling clay (non-hardening). What should I use when I put the panel back?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
pschauss

Re: Sealing around the instrument panel

Post by pschauss »

I should have added that for most things like this, my product of choice is Boat-Life Life Caulk. Is that a good thing to use here?

thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Boat Life or any marine silicone should DoD ehsst you need it to do. Whatever you do DoD not use 5200 or anything similar.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I used Dap clear silicone from Home Depot--it lasted 20+ years before I had to redo it. You don't want anything too strong in case you want to remove the panel.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

The product used originally was very similar to a product called Mortite Caulking Cord.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Pschauss,
You will be okay with any type of Silicone sealant or Life Caulk, just don't use 5200 By 3M, You will never get it off without wrecking the fiberglass under the panel. The original sealant was called Dolphinite, Bertram used it just about everywhere, under the windshield at deck joint, under the rub rail, cleats, bow chock you name it that's where they used it. It was easy to work with and stayed soft for many years, it had a Linseed base, almost like plumbers putty or window glazing.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Pete,

That sounds like the stuff that was on there. It was still soft when I removed the dash board.

I used Boatlife when I reassembled it.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou