Engines finally going in

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Lars

Engines finally going in

Post by Lars »

It's been a long summer without a boat (also happened to be the nicest summer in a long time..), but now I am seeing the end of it.

After treating the Riva B25 to hull repairs, wood refinishing, new shafts, new external raw water strainers (bye bye buckets!) and various other little things, the new engines have been test started and are going in today! New Power Packs from Crusader bring the power from old 210hp 305's to box fresh 300hp 350's. Wonder how the upgrade will feel. If I am lucky, I can keep the props; more HP, but also higher RPM range. I am excited!

Fingers crossed that I can tell you about the test drive over the weekend!

Lars

Re: Engines finally going in

Post by Lars »

I really wanted to keep the beautiful old Riva copper manifolds (you partly see them in the background), but they are almost 50 year old and didn't want to risk the new engines, so ended up getting Mercruiser manifolds and painting them Crusader blue. Less likely to see those lasting 50 years..
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Great work, Lars. As Uncle Vic used to say: "We don't own this classic boats; rather, we are stewards of them to pass along to the next generation". You have been an excellent steward or your Riva/Bertram!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

New stuff! I'm excited for you! Take video if you can. Good luck on your trails!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Lars

Post by Lars »

Thanks guys! Will try to share a video. But first: get it wet!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Lars,
If it was me, I'd ditch the exhaust reducers.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Bruce,
Agreed - they’re gone! Hose is now full size. I am still a bit concerned if the original mufflers will cause too much backpressure, so will measure during trials. Do you know the guidelines for max backpressure on 350’s?
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Lars--raw water cooled? Do you run in fresh water?
Lars

Post by Lars »

Craig Mac wrote:raw water cooled? Do you run in fresh water?
Yes, raw water cooled, like the original installation. I run in salt water, but the local salinity is lower, at a level where life expectancy for engine blocks is 15 years or so. I can live with that.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Was wondering what the expected life of raw water cooled motors is in the Northeast and how much more life could you get with flush kits like they do with outboards..

I run fresh water cooled motors and I am 20 years +
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What type of mufflers, inline?
Lars

Post by Lars »

Yes, inline. Have tried to find data on them, but no luck. Four large round canisters that are integrated with the exhaust through-hulls. Original setup. Considering moving to newer Vetus mufflers, but that would entail new through-hulls and more work..
Lars

Post by Lars »

Always some surprises to deal with at the home stretch, but first trials are now done - and they are promising! Being gentle with the throttles first couple of days, but still awesome hole shot and goes like stink to 3500 rpm. 1500 more to go, and feels like it will top out north of 40 knots with a handsome v8 growl. Good childish fun!.. better report and pics to follow soon.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Lars--love to hear the numbers when you get the boat dialed in. What props and reduction do you have?