Chairs for the cockpit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Chairs for the cockpit

Post by pschauss »

We are looking for some simple, light-weight chairs which will not take too much room when we fold them up and store them in the cabin.

My wife was thinking about using a couple of those folding chairs that the caterers use for outdoor events like weddings.

What have others used?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tommy

Re: Chairs for the cockpit

Post by Tommy »

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/springfi ... ecordNum=3

Hi Pschauss, I've always used the aluminum folding deck chairs shown in the above link. No, they would not be the simple, lightweight chair that we sit in at outdoor weddings. My concern with the "wedding" chair is that the center of gravity is too high and a guest would take a tumble while underway. The West Marine chair linked has a low center of gravity and wider stance for stability, and also the fat rubber boots on the legs for deck protection and grip. These may be too heavy and bulky for your intended use, but they are very stable and comfortable. I always had at least two on Island Girl.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I had to right-click on the link and then left-click on "Open in new tab" for it to open.
John F.

Post by John F. »

We use 2 of the same chairs as Tommy. My wife loves them. They're not light or small folded up, but are comfortable and safe. We had the canvas folding chairs from West before that. They were lighter, cheaper, and much narrower folded up, but weren't nearly as comfortable nor did they strike me as very safe.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Depends on how you want to use them. I only use my chairs when on the hook, and I use the cheap folding beach chairs from the big box store. They don't take up too much room when folded, and last about a year before they have to be replaced from being soaked by sitting in them in wet bathing suits--but at about $15 bucks apiece it's no big deal. If you want chairs to use while underway you need something sturdy like Tommy recommended.
WAC

Post by WAC »

Ok don't beat me up for this one but I had the same need. Wanted them light and small when folded so I could keep in the birth at all times.

https://www.amazon.com/FORMA-MARINE-Fol ... 4AP9JMEQTN

I am 6'3" 250 lbs so I don't fit most chairs or anything else.
So the search was on and I found these. The reviews are great but they are pricey.
The arms are unfinished teak. We love them. We use them every weekend. I regularly fall asleep in them with my feet up on the transom. We use them while underway in moderate seas and they are very stable.
Yes the price hurt a bit but they should last for years and they look great so I will say I am very happy.
They are made in Greece if that bothers anyone.
Good luck with the search!
Wayne Copeland
1972 Bertram 31 Flybridge Cruiser
1983 Boston Whaler Montauk
Project addict...
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

Thanks for all of your ideas. We have all few things to think about now.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We currently use Beach Chairs just like Tooez. We have some thin rubber padding we put under them to protect the deck. If you doint they will beat up a non skid deck.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Most people here use WAC’s chairs, although with a lower back. I had no idea they were made in Greece.
I am almost the same size as WAC and found some nice aluminum IKEA patio folding “director” chairs that are great.
In both cases above, however, the rivets are not stainless and after a year or two they start dripping rust on the deck.
They cost around €40-50 each.
We never use them underway, its always far too choppy to do so. I made a rear bench for that reason.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Pschauss,
I used the aluminum West Marine/ Boat US canvas back and seat with logo . I made some changes in the hardware, I removed the cheap aluminum rivets and replaced them with stainless steel bolts with cap nuts on the ends so you don't cut your legs , also I used crutch tips on the leg bottoms, they wear longer and have better traction. Never had a problem with them they last about 10-12 years before the salt destroys the canvas stitching, cheap nylon not Gore-Tex. They fit into the hanging locker on the starboard side.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61