Painting engines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Painting engines

Post by gplume »

Have a pair of orignal Cummins 504's with many hours and much rust...particuarly the manifolds.

Anyone have any experience with painting old rusty marine engines. Looking for recomendations. Should I prime them? Are there special primers that take the heat? Recomendations on paint? Found that Duplicolor makes a match for the Cummins beige paint. Is this stuff any good?
Giff
Capn' Tony

Post by Capn' Tony »

Giff,
I have the same engines. I stay on top of mine year to year by touching them up where needed. The outsides under the mainfolds are the hardest places to spray. I clean them down with acetone, wire brush. Used to prime but gave up on it a few years ago. I found that spray appliance paint works best, the color is a great match and it drys hard.
This is just touch up if I had them out would probably do it differently.

Not sure if all would agree but my 504's look pretty good for their age.
Thanks
Capn' Tony
randall

Post by randall »

one done in the shop...the other done in the boat........just a matter of time and determination.....dremel with wire brush works great on hard to reach spots........the shop refinish i unbolted everything and sand blasted....but from 10 feet away they look the same

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

i used tempo (of course then they immediatly discontinued the color).....but hear por i5 is the best
gplume

Post by gplume »

All-
Thanks for the replies. I am inspired now.

Randall-
Especially thanks for the pictures,,,,as theysay, seeing is believing.

Best Regards
Giff
Giff
randall

Post by randall »

you welcome......its the modern world....who would have thunk it.....i remember when we had no TV...let alone color or a remote....and now that whole desk top of boxes ,screens, and wires is sittin in my lap while i lay in bed and type this........whats next?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

randall
your still using wires
randall

Post by randall »

charlie.....no wires......keep the macbook pro on the night table next to the bed in the loft..............soon we'll move to the summer bedroom (the one with no heat) and the little note book will live in there......it really is a marvel....still have the desk top hooked up and email stuff from one computer to the other....what a hoot