Fishing reports 2018

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

Fishing reports 2018

Post by CHolgerson »

I thought it might be fun to start a fishing report thread.

I fished yesterday in the Hudson Canyon for a quick day trip onboard a 50 henriques. We caught 4 bigeye tuna and 3 yellowfin. Bigeyes ranged from 100 to 130 lbs. Yellowfin were 60 lb class fish. Tried deep dropping for a sword but no luck.
CHolgerson

Re: Fishing reports 2018

Post by CHolgerson »

Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Chris---we pulled the plug on a trip today---don't expect to get out until the weekend (weather dependent) ---what area of the Hudson were you working?
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

We worked the 100 square area.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

a little out of date - 7/5 bearse shoal off monomoy 50+ bass on a tide live lining macs on circle hooks - all fish 30-33"
7/7 bearse shoal off monomoy 35+ bass on a tide live lining macs on circle hooks - all fish 28-33"
7/21 canal rat - east end running tide bouncing bottom with jigs 7 bass mostly small, one 40"
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Went back to the Hudson today and went home early with 9 bigeyes. Fish were 120lb class fish.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Thinking about going on Friday. What were they hitting?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

They ate every thing that we had in the water. Spreader bars, ballyhoo, swimming plugs, green machine daisy chains, and jet heads. At one point we had 12 on. It was insane.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

On vacation this week,
8/6 Nauset / Bearse shoals - caught about 10 bass vertical jigging in 70' in under 30 min then they disappeared. Went to bearse with a livewell full of macs, had a good time feeding bass at the lip of the rips. Nothing large but we caught quite a few of them. It is quite enjoyable to watch a pack of 6-8 fish chase a mac on the surface, hook one then have the rest of the pack try to steal the mac out of the first fish's mouth.

8/8 canal - east end - stripers chasing macs at first light, mac patterns worked well as well as white plugs.

8/11 canal - east end - lots of twinks busting bait at the power plant, bigger fish after macs in the center of the canal, mac patterns worked well.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote:Image
Nice Mike.

EAST River?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

East River, 4:30 AM, 8-10-18

Went to the Hudson Canyon. Twenty two hours, three hundred miles, two hundred gallons of fuel.

Had a marlin on for about a minute. Caught one Mahi (about 20 pounds).

Had a great day.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You were coming home on fumes unless you have saddle tanks.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I took 80 gallons in a fuel bladder. Got back with 100 gallons in the tank.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

mike ohlstein wrote:I took 80 gallons in a fuel bladder. Got back with 100 gallons in the tank.
You keep the bladder on the deck and burn that first or do you run down the tank and then transfer? Just curious.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Run toward the canyon and pull up about 4 miles short. Transfer fuel. Start trolling with a full tank. Never wait. If the weather turns, you may not be able to do it without getting a bunch of water in the tank.

Being in the canyon with a full tank is a good feeling.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my partner breaking my balls to take the 38' to the canyon. we went 120 miles to mid-Hudson canyon and tie up by way of a ball to a flyer. chunk all night with silversides being chase by squid he caught a dozen squid and we used for live lining. nothing, not even a runoff all night (first time this ever happen for me) beautiful calm night and i loved the 38 over my 31, number one an oven and a tray of veal cutlet parmigiana. next morning we troll the length of the east wall and starboard engine smoking pretty bad. port engine turbo smoking. i really did not want to take her with the old engine slanted for repower. started to head home at 23 knots. realize we are not going to make it to fire island inlet so turn on that 8kw Furuno radar and see large storm coming from west (NJ) but 40 miles closer to her jersey dock than fire island so first time in my life make the critical captain`s decision! "put her into the storm" lets get home. went 20 miles and ran into a huge rain squall and 5' waves with winds at 40mph stay on throttles don`t slow down .38' Bertram cut right thru those horrible windswept waves till we broke out of storm and engine died about 15 miles from the dock in Keyport NJ.no fish but this was sort of a trial run. magnificent boat in very rough waters sometimes a wall of water on both side of the boat that would have buried the 31 at 23 knots. glad to repower we can also build custom bulkhead with huge window and pocket door perhaps move bridge entry to starboard side thru a hole in the bridge floor like Rybovich.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:my partner breaking my balls to take the 38' to the canyon. we went 120 miles to mid-Hudson canyon and tie up by way of a ball to a flyer. chunk all night with silversides being chase by squid he caught a dozen squid and we used for live lining. nothing, not even a runoff all night (first time this ever happen for me) beautiful calm night and i loved the 38 over my 31, number one an oven and a tray of veal cutlet parmigiana. next morning we troll the length of the east wall and starboard engine smoking pretty bad. port engine turbo smoking. i really did not want to take her with the old engine slanted for repower. started to head home at 23 knots. realize we are not going to make it to fire island inlet so turn on that 8kw Furuno radar and see large storm coming from west (NJ) but 40 miles closer to her jersey dock than fire island so first time in my life make the critical captain`s decision! "put her into the storm" lets get home. went 20 miles and ran into a huge rain squall and 5' waves with winds at 40mph stay on throttles don`t slow down .38' Bertram cut right thru those horrible windswept waves till we broke out of storm and engine died about 15 miles from the dock in Keyport NJ.no fish but this was sort of a trial run. magnificent boat in very rough waters sometimes a wall of water on both side of the boat that would have buried the 31 at 23 knots. glad to repower we can also build custom bulkhead with huge window and pocket door perhaps move bridge entry to starboard side thru a hole in the bridge floor like Rybovich.
Bob

Glass in those front windows. I met a guy who blew them out in storm coming home from the Hudson. Bridge started to collapse on him do to no support. He had to jam it up with a door off the head. But he said the boat never flinched and just kept plowing through the waves.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote:Run toward the canyon and pull up about 4 miles short. Transfer fuel. Start trolling with a full tank. Never wait. If the weather turns, you may not be able to do it without getting a bunch of water in the tank.

Being in the canyon with a full tank is a good feeling.....
Reminds me of the days we ran gassers. First few years we stopped 10 miles short and dumped in the 50 gallons extra we carried. Then we later plumbed an extra 30 gallons into the starboard engine feed. Use to run that dry just short of the Hudson. That use to leave us with about 190 gallons in the tank. Most we ever used was 200 gallons. That was the one time we hooked up with big Blue Fin in early Sept. and he took us deep into the Hudson, we were 110 off Barnegat. Luckily that time we had the extra 50.

The following week the fish showed up in the mudhole.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

unbeknown to me this is the storm that blew down trees, rain so hard they had cars floating down the road and all kinds of damage. we went into small craft warnings and then it turns to more than gale warnings in minutes, black sky and nighttime instantly. tony the front windshield has teak cabinets up to the ceiling with accordion doors, however, everything on countertop was in the sink. head seas and the strongest wind i have ever been in.just want to share something weird with my brothers that is three birds landed in the cockpit apparently to rest and stayed until after storm pasted.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Another thing in the Hudson last weekend. Monarch butterflies. It's a little early for them to be heading to South America, but there they were.

Maybe it's going to be a hard winter.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Fished again sunday to Monday in the Hamptons offshore invitational tournament. We started in west Atlantis and trolled west. We trolled all the way to the Hudson with out a touch. Had a couple of white marlin on the east side of the hudson and 2 yellowfin tuna. One weighed 74 lbs and is in 2nd place so far. We are fishing again Thursday into Friday.
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:
It's a little early for them to be heading to South America, but there they were.

Maybe it's going to be a hard winter.......

Bite your tongue, thems b fightn words.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mike

The boat sits right along the Atlantic Flyway. From what I have seen every thing is on schedule. The Hummingbirds are starting to gather for the trip south. Monarchs are just starting to show. Everything looks to be right on schedule as compared to prior years.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yep have to stay on top at 21 knots or you will get clobbered.

https://www.facebook.com/marina.mercant ... 7665/?t=32
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob that's childs play for the 38 Bert. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315