B28 Updates - Input Please?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

aussierob

B28 Updates - Input Please?

Post by aussierob »

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently repowering my B28 (still sticking with gas engines), but can't help but ponder some ideas for the cabin too.

I have a few ideas, and would love to hear your thoughts on a few ideas i have.
Part of me almost wants to gut it and start again, but i don't have the space (and can't really justify the time or expense), so looking for bang-for-buck options.

1. Aft bulkhead - the plywood has no rot in it, but it's not in the best shape. I'm tempted to replace the upper portion (between the engine bay and floor of the flybridge) with new timber, and epoxy-seal it rather than the white. Has anyone seen this done? My hull is deep blue, and i have a teak swim platform. I think it would look great overall.

2. I'm going to remove the lower helm. Here in Sydney, it's rarely cold enough to justify, and my flybridge as 3-sides enclosed with clears. It will also simplify the rewiring and new gauge cluster etc i want to put in. With that removed, i had an idea to open up the forward berth with no wall, to make it feel a little less "coffin" like inside the berth. Any thoughts on this idea? I have seen an example, but cannot find a reference. I'm doing alot of rewiring while the engines are out, so it's time to start fresh.

3. The kitchenette is really showing its age. I'm tempted to tear it out and start again. But any arguments for and against? I could give it a facelift, but i think starting again would be simpler. Laminate is peeling, joinery is failing. It's fine, because we rarely use it, but perhaps we would if it was in better condition?

Thanks all in advance.
Rob
Yannis

Re: B28 Updates - Input Please?

Post by Yannis »

Rob,

The way to obtain a lot of new space in the cabin is to demolish the galley and build a new one.
This stock galley is far too deep for no reason at all, with a lot of unused/unreachable space in the back.
You'll get much more floor space, without sacrificing any cupboard space.

Similar with the 3 drawers on the floor of the dinette...
Now that you have gotten rid of the lower helm, measure 205 cm forward from the aft bulkhead for a new settee where you will be able to sit and also sleep, as the stock dinette is far too short for someone to stretch out, let alone two people.
The remaining space, you can use for a 60 cm hanging locker.

I only kept the aft bulkhead, the bathroom/galley division and the vberth bulkhead.
Everything else I threw out , I’m glad I did.

I have a lot of pics from my redo, send me your email as well as what you want and Ill send you pics with...instructions!

Good luck.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Lars

Post by Lars »

Varnished/epoxy-sealed bulkheads can be gorgeous on the B28. I’d do it.
Check out “Little Buddy”:
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... refit.html
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

That’s tons of work and pretty deep pockets...
Also, I should think all this woodwork must be heavy.
Another thing is that in warmer climates, you dont need a table inside. You might as well create a more comfortable settee.
Otherwise, awesome work.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Yannis wrote:Rob,

The way to obtain a lot of new space in the cabin is to demolish the galley and build a new one.
This stock galley is far too deep for no reason at all, with a lot of unused/unreachable space in the back.
You'll get much more floor space, without sacrificing any cupboard space.

Similar with the 3 drawers on the floor of the dinette...
Now that you have gotten rid of the lower helm, measure 205 cm forward from the aft bulkhead for a new settee where you will be able to sit and also sleep, as the stock dinette is far too short for someone to stretch out, let alone two people.
The remaining space, you can use for a 60 cm hanging locker.

I only kept the aft bulkhead, the bathroom/galley division and the vberth bulkhead.
Everything else I threw out , I’m glad I did.

I have a lot of pics from my redo, send me your email as well as what you want and Ill send you pics with...instructions!

Good luck.
Hi Yannis,
That's awesome, thanks! I tried PMing you but it won't let me for some reason. Do you have it disabled?
Cheers,
Rob
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Lars wrote:Varnished/epoxy-sealed bulkheads can be gorgeous on the B28. I’d do it.
Check out “Little Buddy”:
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... refit.html
I had seen little buddy - it looks amazing.
I'm not sure i'd go as far as all that internal work, but the bulkheads i do love. I struggled to find too many pics of the bulkhead itself though.

Rob