Turning Up

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Turning Up

Post by Harry Babb »

Since I have owned "DeNada" I have never seen her turn more than 4200 RPM at WOT. We are running 454 Marine Power, 1.5 Velvet drives, and props are, I think????, 18X17.

Seems like I remember that 2900 RPM pushed me about 19 Knots. I have always thought that the engines should turn 4400/4600 RPM but chose to spend what time I have working on the interior, windows and other things rather than tweaking the engines.

Well the other day I decided to tinker with the engines.
Whoever installed the engines did not make any effort to level the carbs. (Quadrajets)

Well I put 14 degree wedges under the carbs and BINGO ! ! ! 4600 RPM................Seamed like we were going to sprout wings and start flying.

Before I put the wedges under the carbs they were at such an angle that fuel would not hardly flow over into the accelerator pump wells.

Hope to hit the Gulf weekend after this one comming up...........I'm curious to see how DeNada performs with the carbs sitting right side up.

Harry Babb
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Nice Harry. I don't think I would have been paying any attention to the carb angle if the engine was able to make 4200 rpm...good call. This site is TLC of inboard boating.

Enjoy the outting, hope the weather is good for you guys. Are you going after ling? should be running in your area.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0