MacDougalls B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Priceless

MacDougalls B31

Post by Priceless »

saw this B31 and it’s fitted with something called Zipwake. Went to the website zipwake.com. Looks interesting. Wonder if anyone has ridden the “revival31” and what the thoughts are about this product.
Tony Meola

Re: MacDougalls B31

Post by Tony Meola »

I always thought this was a Volvo system. I remember them coming out with a similar system many years ago.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Lars

Post by Lars »

You’re right Tony - you’re thinking of the Volvo QL interceptor tabs.
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VO-QL3841717.htm

They work brilliantly; I’ve always wondered why they haven’t caught on wider. Easy to maintain, nothing protruding, quick acting.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:I always thought this was a Volvo system. I remember them coming out with a similar system many years ago.
Yes the Volvo Ql Trim Blades. Think maybe Dug installed on Alchemy??

Couple other companies are making now.
I looked at them before going with traditional tabs...I like that they tuck in. Eliminates problems when fishing or trying to climb back in boat from transom, swimming around transom, backing into slip etc. I also wanted to get low cruise speed lift and blades seemed to be more effective at higher speeds.

Think the two main reason I opted not to use...install required a flat transom surface, more so then tabs, AND I was able to buy traditional tabs at a much better price. Blades were still new to market and pricey...and it killed me knowing just how simple they are to pay twice the price.

At least with regular trim tabs I received several heavy boxes to carry around and open. I got to layout and then mount hydraulic pump, run hoses, I got hydraulic cylinders to mount onto transom, several pieces to the tab to install and mount...run power fill with fluid, check for leaks.
Blades came in a smallish box, spot to install was apparent, make a precision wedge, attach, hook up wires...done.
Carl

Post by Carl »

See what happens when you type slow...someone jumps right in and steals your thunder...

LOL
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tony, Lars, Carl,

The site says "Discontinued, No Longer Available"
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Which site? I can get on the Fore and Aft and the zipwake site.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Lars

Do you have them installed? I have never seen one on a boat and never heard of anyone using them. Would love to know how well they work. What have they really done for someone? Increase speed, better fuel economy etc.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

This whole topic reminded me that I had seen something similar in the past.
This is the Greek version of the vertical blade flap.
It is based on the principle that the rubber, balloon-like contraption, found on top (in red), fills with water (blue) and by expansion it pushes the blade downwards.
You could perhaps make out a few of the technical data, as the units (kg, mm, bar) are in English and the numbers are ...international.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Imtra carries zipwake go here and search it if your interested some of these systems have active type ride control when the boat develops a list it corrects it automatically. I ran boats with these on a bigger scale made by Humphree and they were great. I am also thinking about zip wake for my 31. http://www.imtra.com/zipwake.htm
Jason
Carl

Post by Carl »

Snipe wrote:Iwhen the boat develops a list it corrects it automatically.

One down side is when a boat develops a list its usually for a reason.

Uncle Big Boy decides to go sit on gunnel next to Size of Texas Sally, tabs correct list, is all well and good...nice to have auto correct. I still prefer to request they sit centered or at opposite sides. I'd hate to have to slow down quick going over a big wake, a standing wave only to find boats way off balance and tabs will do squat to correct.

Running and boat lists to one side...no sizable trim in boat this time. So whats up...wind? Not windy...grab co-pilot to take helm and go have a look-Z. Lift side hatch and we see we have a hose that developed a leak, a stuffing box leaking filling compartment with water. Had we not noticed that list, one compartment overflows to next compartment till boat starts running sluggish. Been there more then once.
Kinda the same deal with an automatic bilge at stern without a warning light...pump handles little water leak and you don't notice and keep going. Leak gets worse and by the time you notice that little leak is a big leak and you have lots of water to deal with.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tony, the foreandaft site. Down the page it says the product is discontinued.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Uncle Big Boy decides to go sit on gunnel next to Size of Texas Sally

Im laughing my intestins out...
especially in the smaller 28 with a deeper V this becomes a constant attention up at the cockpit.
on the other hand I like to drive in peril
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dr. Pat,
If you have trim tabs now, stay with what you have, a few of the 31's that I have surveyed had that system, If it's made by Volvo it's going to be expensive and you will have to have custom shims made because the 31's transom is not flat she's got a slight curve all the way across. I think Jerry Santiago put them on his 31 FBC with 315HP Yanmars. Like Carl said unless your fishing with a lot of big assed people weight shifting on our 31's doesn't really matter that much.

I ran my 31 Express for 37 years without trim tabs, I did a lot of fishing and didn't want trim tab blades sticking out of the transom that could cut off a fish. When I got my boat back in 1978 she had a set of SLR underwater silencers (instead of internal mufflers) on the transom that stuck out about 10"" off the transom, after loosing a giant Bluefin that ran across the transom they were immediately removed the following day. The boat was louder but nothing stuck out off the stern except fishing rods.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Priceless

Post by Priceless »

No trim tabs on mine. It didn’t come with them and I read all the posts about them and realized they’re not necessary. I was just wondering about these things and if they were worthwhile and if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks Pete
Carl

Post by Carl »

Priceless wrote:No trim tabs on mine. It didn’t come with them and I read all the posts about them and realized they’re not necessary. I was just wondering about these things and if they were worthwhile and if anyone had any experience with them. Thanks Pete

Once your over 16-17knts with a balanced boat, tabs have little use on our boats.

If playing under that speed, tabs are nice to get the stern up for a slower cruise on plane. For me...a slow economical cruise works best at times. Some family members don't want to be leaping from wave to wave or being shook around. When its getting dark where I cannot see far enough ahead at 18-19knts...dialing it back to 14knts on plane can work. Its that or a 6knt putt putt back to dock after a dock and dine or late night fishing. Sometimes I want to move faster then put-ting along, but don't want to be super vigilant looking for debris in water...Raritan Bay after heavy rains, moon tides can have lots of debris brought in floating around AKA- telephone poles, old docks, pilings, trees, limbs containers, tires etc etc ...so constant watch is more then a must at times.

I ran 15 or so years without tabs before I decided to install. I like, but not required.

Having a flush tab adds that benefit plus keeps stern clear...but comes at a cost.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Raritan bay is a mine field
use to make the run down there in the spring for flounder
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

I don’t have them on Alchemy, but have always thought they would be cool.

Skip has the Volvo ones on his 31 Wahine. I am pretty confident he loves them!

D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:Raritan bay is a mine field
use to make the run down there in the spring for flounder

Long run for flounder Charlie...

I'm here and don't even make the run anymore.

I will admit the bay and NY Harbor has gotten much much better the past 10-15 years, but still it has its days were a mine field is a very good analogy.
Heading in from early morning fishing trying to get work with a bit of fog...out of the mist it looked like a forest had been cut down with logs and stumps as far as the eye could see. Took awhile to find a spot I could get through...just glad it was light enough to see and I was going slow enough to stop. Kinda where that slow cruise comes into play.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yea this was years ago
when flounder were still around
only 1 trip a year with a few guys
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:yea this was years ago
when flounder were still around
only 1 trip a year with a few guys
Even if they were around, its a ride when only allowed 2 fish per.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

trim tabs -----we need no sticking trim tabs all in the prop design. we be needen bow planes like a submarine! i don`t want to push the bow down i want to push bow up!!!!! no Carolina flare on a 31 Bertram why in God`s name would you purposely put the bow into an oncoming wave !!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473