Mini Fridge Re Charge with Freon

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Mini Fridge Re Charge with Freon

Post by SteveM »

I've been doing a bunch of thing by learning off this forum, YouTube, etc.

However, adding freon appears to be something I'll need gauges and tubes and so forth to accomplish.
Plus I think this unit may have had R12 freon. Which I could still purchase on eBay. But I'm not sure.

Anyone on the board know about regarding these things?

1. Where do I fill it? Look at video and pics. There is a port on one of the copper tubes with a cap. I think that would be the only spot.
2. How do I know if it has R12?
3. Do I need to call a refrigerator guy and have him simply come re charge the thing or can I get an inexpensive kit that I may succeed on my own.
4. Any tips on changing the rubber seal on the fridge? It appears to be under the aluminum trim lip. I don't want to pull that aluminum off. The seal seems to be working, but it's somewhat hard and a new soft rubber one would be optimal.

See pics and video attached.

https://youtu.be/Vfxcxa7TxbQ

https://youtu.be/RftHSoLqFBc
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Re: Mini Fridge Re Charge with Freon

Post by MarkS »

Steve if you have regular HVAC guy you use he may be able to help. I don’t remember the numbers R12 R20 and the newer refrigerants but many of them are no longer available but many in the industry have captured and retained expired unavailable refrigerants. Just for shits and giggles I’d start there. If it’s low or out it has a leak and they use a tracer like a floresent green to find leaks. It’s always more fun when you don’t have to do it yearly. Best of luck.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mark
That's my thought too...I'll see who we've used in the house successfully.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Hate to tell you this but the cost of two pounds of r12 or r20 will be almost the price of a new unit. Two years ago it cost me $600 for the hvac guy to put two pounds in my A.C. unit at home.

I would seriously LOOK into a new unit. If you have a leak and don't fix it you will only need a recharge again after a few months.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315