Alpha 1 Gen II re-assemble

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Matt Shackleton

Alpha 1 Gen II re-assemble

Post by Matt Shackleton »

Hi All,
I'm at the re-assemble stage in my B20 restoration project and am looking to re-fit the transom assembly. Anyone seen any good videos or have good instructions on how to do this? Looks pretty straightforward but experience tells me the little tricks are what will make this a successful job.
Cheers.
Pete Fallon

Re: Alpha 1 Gen II re-assemble

Post by Pete Fallon »

Matt,
Make sure that your transom core is completely dry and has no rot, make sure every opening is caulked with 3M 4200 or life caulk, do not use 5200. You will need to borrow an alignment tool from a Merc mechanic it's a very important part of putting the drive back on properly. If I were you I'd pay a Merc guy to finish the install He will know all at the ins and outs of the install and the correct torque spec's and have the right tools. There are seals that get crushed if you don't know what your doing and also special sealants for the exhaust bellows and shift shaft seals and boots. I had a 1968 20' Bertram Sportsman with a 165 Merc Alpha 1 I/O that I replaced the entire inner and outer transom plates and upper and lower drive housings. I watched a top Merc mechanic for the entire winter replacing complete repowers at least 8 of them from October to April and everyone had something that was a challenge on each repower and he had been at it for over 25 years. I worked on the parts counter and boat sales for 3 years in the late 80's at a large Merc/ Mariner dealership and watched the do it your selfers come back and forth for the same seals and bellows at least twice and finally ask to head mechanic to finish the job for them. Like I said earlier having the correct specialized tools and knowledge makes the job go as smooth as possible. Save your money up and pay someone with experience to finish the job, it's well worth it.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Matt Shackleton

Re: Alpha 1 Gen II re-assemble

Post by Matt Shackleton »

Thanks for the sage advice Peter. I have taken it on board, and report that the local Merc mechanic is now engaged to start and finish the refit.