LCD sun burn damaged VHF radio - replace film

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

LCD sun burn damaged VHF radio - replace film

Post by SteveM »

My ICOM M504 radio LCD is unreadable. Apparently due to sun damage is my guess. ICOM does not offer a "dust cover" for this model. Their response is "it's flush mounted and weather proof, you don't need one".

Sending it to ICOM for repair is $95/hour. A new radio is around $450 and has new bells and whistles. I could see paying about the same amount and getting my OLD radio back.

I'm tempted to FIRST try and replace the polarized film similar to this video I found on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/vSS8kQdh9Jg

I ordered the film from the same place this guy got his.

Before I destroy my VHF, I figured I'd see if anyone here has ever done this! LOL

Or if anyone has any other ideas.

From now going forward, I'm going to cover all my LCD screens when I'm not actively viewing them. Sort of like putting on sunscreen.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Re: LCD sun burn damaged VHF radio - replace film

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

You have nothing to loose. But sometimes it looks easy on You Tube then when you do it, well lets just say it is not that easy. But I would go for it if it was me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Well, I finally got around to doing this today. It went just like the video.

VHF comes apart, a few push connectors on the motherboards to take off. The LCD is just like the one in the video. I scraped off the old burnt Polarized film with a razor blade. Goo Gone'd the adhesive, hit it with some alcohol and re applied the new film. Snapped it all back together and it's up and running. Screen is clear as day.

I'm most likely going to purchase and install a 2nd VHF and antenna. I'm still leery that I futzed around with a piece of safety gear with lots of little parts.

The film was about $25 bucks; much better than buying another $500 radio.

With the money I saved, I'll buy the 2nd VHF. Good practice to have two on-board.
Steve Marinak
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

I realize it is convenient to have it flush mounted, but what probably did the damage was sitting there while the boat is not being used. Cover it with anything you can. Make a cover. Or see if you can mount it in a cabinet where the sun does not hit it. With the Icom, you can always use the remote mike.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tony
I was thinking the same thing.

My 2nd radio will be one of those Icom's that have the module hidden away and run off the CommandMic.
Eventually, I'd like this VHF placed under the steering wheel in an pop out panel like Gerry Santiago has.
Steve Marinak