Paint choice for battery shelf?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Paint choice for battery shelf?

Post by STeveZ »

Attached are pictures of the battery shelf that rests on the stringers and sits in the bilge (out of the water) between the engines. I took the batteries out and removed the shelf. The wood is solid and I want to repaint it before re-placing it. The entire finish is pretty rough and oil stained. My plan was sanding, followed by KILLZ followed by some kind of paint (what kind of paint?)? What say you?

Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Steve,

I have found that once clean, wood like that covers nicely with several coats of Bilge Coat. I use it in my bilge an on the battery shelf several years ago when I bought the boat and it is still as good as new. I also preceeded the bilge coat with dilute epoxy and let it soak in good and cure before I painted. It will never rot.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
John F.

Post by John F. »

Steve-

I did what Dick suggested this past winter for a battery shelf I made--epoxy diluted, then full strength, then white bilgekote. Came out real well.

John F.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

When I started rebuilding "Phoenix" I knew I was going to replace and add a lot of wooden stuff in the engine room. Rather than worrying about painting things I bought a gallon kit of West system epoxy, along with some thickener and some white pigment colorant. I just apply two coats of epoxy, slightly thickened.. each with a healthy slug of colorant. It seems to be ideal.. strong, durable, waterproof and white.
thereheis

paint

Post by thereheis »

degrease let it dry wipe with denaturuated alchol and put 2-3 coats of epoxy with what ever color pigment you want .it will be there a long long time.just like ir guy said

phil