Coolant level in the heat exchanger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Coolant level in the heat exchanger

Post by pschauss »

I have a 1978 B31 SF with the original 454s. What should the coolant level in the expansion tank on the top of the heat exchanger be when the engine is cold? The system does not have a coolant recovery system.

(For those of you who responded my post about repowering - Thanks for the advice. We closed the deal on the boat a week ago and had the yard haul her the same day. The yard is about 6 miles from where I live so I have had limited time to go over her. Unless something major turns up, we plan to run for at least one season before making a decision about repowering.)

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou - B31 SF
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Tony Meola

Re: Coolant level in the heat exchanger

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

When I had the 454's I added an overflow tank so I could keep an eye on them.

Before the tank they were right up to top.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

On a non recovery system the level can be a couple inches down to allow for expansion when hot.
Tony is right. Install a recovery tank with the proper pressure cap.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Peter-
Firstly, congratulations of the new yacht...
I have Crusader 454s with no expansion tanks. The Starboard engine runs right up at the neck of the filler fitting. The Port engine is almost exactly the distance to the second knuckle of my index finger. I believe I have 7 lb. caps. Both engines appear healthy and consistent in their operation. I am a believer that after so many years and hours they develop a little personality.
I believe you are wise in running the boat for a period of time before taking on big projects if possible. I think there is great satisfaction in having your boat optimized as you like for your use.
Good luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur