anti skid tape

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

anti skid tape

Post by Yannis »

A few years back I put several lengths of this anti skid tape on different places of the deck that were not anti skid treated or painted, and where slippery when wet.
Now (actually not now, but just the following year after the application), the anti skid material was gone completely away and I'm left with the tape's support which is very difficult to remove (I finally removed it methodically with a chisel as no solvent could even budge it).
Is there any such material to apply that renders the deck non-slippery, that is NOT required to be painted? Painting is very laborious and I would wish to stay away from it if there is another type of tape or anything else to that effect.
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Re: anti skid tape

Post by Carl »

Yannis--

I read and understood your post...no paint!

BUT-- When I bought my "new to me" Fiberglass deck the gelcoat was shot. I could have gone with a slick paint...a slick paint with some traction bits mixed in...a non skid paint mix. Over the years I tried a bunch of stuff and sometimes it looked ok. Other times not quite even traction coverage...the paint would wear quick in spots of high use, scrubbing made it look ok but time between scrubs became closer till job needed to be done over...prepping and painting over non skid was not fun and if not done right looked bad from the start...so I understand the aversion.

A tip from this board had me try KiwiGrip. Paint is smooth...you roll it on with a textured roller to the desired grip you want. Only takes a couple roll stokes to figure it out. Goes on easy...I have had for 11 years...this year it needs a recoat. Supposed to be able to go right over.
It was a long time ago...but if I recall I may have used my own roller to give smoother surface, but enough for barefoot traction when wet.

I like the stuff.

http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/

Tape is tape...some stick better then others, some fade less then others, some start peeling at the corners...others tear in the middle, some peel off ok, others its peel and rub with chemicals scrape and rub...
Then again...maybe something new in the tape world has come out since...
Last edited by Carl on Nov 7th, '17, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina31

Post by Catalina31 »

Yannis,
I second Carl’s comment about the Kiwi grip, we did it on our racing sailboat and it’s killer because you can make it have as much or as little traction as you want. I would recommend ordering an extra Kiwi grip roller in case you have to try more than once to get it the way you want it. Easy to apply and VERY easy to touch up.

A second option that I have never tried but would be interested in seeing the results is this product http://gibcoflexmold.com/ looks like it could be a solution.
Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Vanderspek
B38 Off Hand BERL1215M82
Sold B31 Fun 'N' Games 315-174-1285
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys very much.

I'll see what my boat's surface requires for prepping (multiple layers of different color paints that need to be removed, some holes to fill etc) and I'll proceed with Kiwi.
The one that Brian proposes is to be used for molds, if I have understood correctly ??

Hey, Brian, do you have any trips scheduled for this winter ?
Catalina31

Post by Catalina31 »

Yannis,
Unfortunately no Mediterranean trips scheduled for the winter haven’t been to your neck of the woods in a few months and I already miss it!
-Brian
Brian Vanderspek
B38 Off Hand BERL1215M82
Sold B31 Fun 'N' Games 315-174-1285
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Thank you guys very much.

I'll see what my boat's surface requires for prepping (multiple layers of different color paints that need to be removed, some holes to fill etc) and I'll proceed with Kiwi.
Not twisting your arm to use it...just saying its an option that could be a good choice and not ruled out.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I have to do something before Its too late. You know, orthopaedic or chiropractor kind of late!

Brian,

Perhaps later...last time you were here it was freeking cold and snowing.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis...I hear you loud and clear.

Tried helping a friend by showing him how to let down an anchor "slowly" so it hits bottom before the chain does.

Swam over to his boat, got in, his boat was one of those climb up the stairs onto the helm area then make your way thru the open windshield onto a sloped foredeck where his wife was waiting by the rail with anchor. Well, apparently if you heavily wax a fiberglass non-skid foredeck, you will skid all the way down the deck slowed only by a foot catching a cleat, falling over getting tangled up into the railing. Beautifully designed boat only surpassed by the waxing skills of a friend.

So yep...I know about non-nonskid where nonskid is needed.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I helped a friend use kiwi grip on a small boat project and a few seasons later it heals up well. It was pretty easy to use.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You can also take any type of two part paint and mix cabosil in it to thicken it up then roll it on with a roller for rough surface and it will give you the bumps and valleys similar to Kiwi Grip.

Too bad you are not around. I have a gallon laying around I would let you have for a site donation. But it would cost more to send it to Greece than it would buy a plane ticket.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I know exactly what you mean, I've also been onto boats more slippery than your wet bathroom tiles. What's missing from your metaphor is the wide open jaws of a shark as you fall in the water from the bow rail!!

Peter,

Thank you. As a matter of fact, now that I see pics in their video and how it looks when dry, I can tell beyond any doubt that someone sometime has done that Kiwi on my gunwales. They also start chipping away in areas, so I'm thinking if I shouldn't perhaps give those a shot too. But all this is for next year as for this winter I 'm faced with unexpected extra costs such as remove and clean my 4+4 heat exchangers, change the hydraulic steering system that was dripping all summer, and most probably all 4 batteries...together with normal wear and tear (service of engines, etc) they add up!!

Tony,

Thank you for being generous with me. On the other hand, a number of times I myself have been eager to give info to help other members here, only to realize that what I would be proposing to them is simply infeasible, due to different prices, different methods and practices or simply the distance ...but now that you mentioned it, a ticket purchased ahead of time shouldn't be all that expensive, considering that some of you fly important distances down to the Caribbean and even beyond, which is not for free either!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

I was noting that buying a ticket for the can is probably cheaper than shipping. I don't think they would let me put a gallon of Kiwi Grip on a plane and take up a seat. Besides it has no lap so how would you buckle it in. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Oh, easily Tony, they’d put it in the bin above, lol! Until it started ...dripping.