Deck Caulk, Patrick?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Deck Caulk, Patrick?

Post by Tommy »

The 3-part Glas-Tech deck is out of Island Girl and the sub-structure repairs are almost complete. My question has to do with (1): the bedding material for the contact areas where the deck sections lay upon the stringers and cross-members; and (2): the preferred material to seal the joints where the two outside sections of deck mate-up with the center section. One knowledgable boater suggested 4200 for both applications. I humbly await counsel from the Faithful...

Tommy
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tommy,

Do not, under any circumstance, bed the deck to the joists........

The caulking between the sections should not be an adhesive, just a caulk to keep water out. Remember that you'll want to remove the deck again some day & stuff like 4200, 5200, or even silicon is going to make that job a real pain in the butt. I would, (and did when I replaced your strut pads), use an acrylic window caulk. It might need to freshened up every so often, but it glue the sections together.

The screws under the 4 hatches that go up through the flange of the center section into the outboard section are all that are required to hold the outboard sections down at those joints. The screws outboard, behind your side panels finish the hold down of the deck. There are several flush set flat head screws on each flange of the center section, (probably 4 per side).

Br,

Patrick