NEED HELP!!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

funandgames

NEED HELP!!!!

Post by funandgames »

HELLO ALL!!!! I am in dire straights with out the sufficient knowledge to move forward, so I am reaching out to you all for some much needed advise and suggestions. I currently own a 73 - 31 Bertram and lost my steering ability, so I removed all of its components, helm, cables. When I took the helm apart I found the reason to my problem, the gears inside the helm where TOAST, thought this was the issue until I removed the steering cables... the push rod on the starboard engine was seized in its housing... hence the broken teeth on the helm gears from cranking on the wheel so hard. Never the less I find my self not being able to find that weird long cable that looks like a drain snake in the center part that goes in the helm. Can any one out there recommend a replacement system. Single helm with twin 454.... still saving up for the diesels.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Rudderless
Carl

Re: NEED HELP!!!!

Post by Carl »

The old mechanical systems worked fine...

Today, for close to what you'll pay for the old push pull cables you can get a good Hydraulic Steering System. Find package you need, comes complete with Helm, Hydraulic lines and Ram...think Sea Star is about the most popular. Not a difficult DIY job, the systems are pretty straight forward and aside from saving some coin and space...it is a great upgrade to the old mechanical system.
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Got my cable at West Marine. BigT Cable.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

+1 on the conversion to Sea Star Hydraulic Steering. I did mine in 2003 to facilitate the installation of a Furuno Autopilot.
That combination was one of the best upgrades I made on Shambala.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... Aqtm8P8HAQ
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You'll need a new helm also both cable and helm start at 550 and go up depending on length from discount marine houses.
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/big-t-r ... hgodRgcNHQ
The above link is for a single station. If you have a dual it gives a number to call.

The hydraulic kit linked in John's post is for an outboard and inboard sea star systems for single helm are about double of the cable system. You will need a second helm to go with it for dual station.

The advantage of doing it now is the anticipation of the repower upgrade down the road and the ease of auto pilot installs.

Removing the old cables can be a chore. Cut the ends off out of the way and wait till the rpower and deck removal to get the rest out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I used a 41/4 inch harbor freight grinder with a cutting wheel to cut my cables when I repowered. They were tough to cut any other way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Quite a few years ago I broke the cable on my boat at the end of the season, and because I didn't want to miss the last few weeks of fishing while I refitted a hyd. system I just replaced the cable. I have regretted it ever since--it was a real PIA job to snake that cable, and at the end of it I still had an outdated steering system that I can't fit with an autopilot. My advise is to go for the hyd. system--if you are intending to have the boat for a while (it sounds like you are) you won't regret it.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Hydraulic is the way to go, and the deck does come up easy enough.

I bet once you get to the steering arms and rudder shelf you are going to find they need to go also.

Now would be the time to replace everything.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:
The hydraulic kit linked in John's post is for an outboard and inboard sea star systems for single helm are about double of the cable system. You will need a second helm to go with it for dual station.

As its a boat...double is close in price.

What is also nice about hydraulic steering...

-no need to keep hand on wheel to keep on course.
-want to add autopilot, T-into lines and your good to go.
-want to add a second station(tower, cockpit), buy 2nd helm, T-into lines and your good to go.
-lines are easy to run and can be tucked out of the way if you need the space.

Not pushing one way or the other...just something to think about.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

funandgames,
Don't waste your time trying to repair the old cable steering bite the bullet and go with a closed hydraulic system.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61