Fuel Lines

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Fuel Lines

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

My original copper fuel lines are being replaced with Trident hose style fuel lines. The original fuel line run had two fuel shut off valves and one 90 degree fitting on each side. The fuel lines went through the bulkhead aft of the motor boxes and then went low along inside-most sections of the motor mounts. On the port side, the 90 degree fitting then routed the fuel line up to the fuel/water separator. On the starboard side, the 90 degree fitting turned right and ran horizontally until it reached the outboard side of the engine where it connected with fuel/water separator. My questions are:

1. Do I need to add fuel shut off valves to the fuel line? If so, what do I use?

2. Do I need to add a 90 degree fitting to each side where the fuel line turns for the fuel water separators or is there an alternative preferred method for turning the fuel hose in a manner where I don't have to worry about it pinching down on itself over time?

3. Am I just going to follow the same routing for the fuel lines?

Thanks!

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Tony Meola

Re: Fuel Lines

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I would keep the shut off at the fuel tank.

It is also helpful if you have a shut off right before the Racor. This way if you have to do work on the Racor you can shut off the line and limit fuel spill.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Lines

Post by Bruce »

+1 with Tony's suggestion. I would not put 90 fittings in to turn a tight corner. I would make a nice radius with the hose. Never had to have the fuel line that tight. You can use 90 fittings in the fuel filter to point down to meet the fuel line.