Teak....oil, varnish or cetol?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ford351c594

Teak....oil, varnish or cetol?

Post by ford351c594 »

Figured I ask, while doing tank and paint the bilge I took the teak swim deck off that boat to clean to make new mounts for. Guy before me used carbon bolts threw the teak to attach to boat and obviously they rusted and split the teak. I made new ones and was going to clean the teak and refinish?

I have only used oil in the past and it looks good but just doesn't last. I know cetol is reformulated to eliminate the orange look but have never used it. I also have never varnished teak.

So what do you guys use and how long does it last?

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Tony Meola

Re: Teak....oil, varnish or cetol?

Post by Tony Meola »

1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

I used different types of oils and sealers over the years, and the longest anything lasted was a year before it had to be stripped and refinished. About eight years ago I went to the cetol natural teak; it lasted about three years. I refinished with the same, but put a cover coat of the cetol gloss over it--all I have done since is a light sanding and recoat with the gloss every two years. It does make the wood smooth and slippery; might be a problem for a swim platform.
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

thanks for the replays. looks like I will try the tip top teak first. If i don't like how long it lasts I will do the cetol.

I have read that in the last year or so they redid their natural teak. Less dyes. More natural look, also I have read the gloss finish over it is full of UV protection so that is what makes it last. Apparently people were afraid of the orange look it was giving, so they reformulated it. The boats in that older thread look good. Both the tip top and cetol. I would love to do the gunnels like that, but man they want $38 a board foot for teak 2x by me. I had some shipped in direct to rebuild the back of the swim deck in 1x1x12 and it was only $144. ( they sold me a 4x and precut it) Direct from Laos.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

I haven't been a huge fan of the way Cetol has held up, for what it's worth (pictures right after application are in the thread Tony linked to). It was applied carefully and to the finest detail provided on the label, and we're having pieces peel off. Based on my experience, I wouldn't use the product again.
Max