For those with Dock Power & Lifts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

For those with Dock Power & Lifts

Post by Tony Meola »

Guys

Summer is hear, just an FYI to be careful in case you have not heard of two Tragic accidents this weekend. One was hear in NJ. A bunch of kids were swimming in the River and one touched the boat lift behind the house and was electrocuted. The lift was energized and when she touched it, it electrocuted her.

The other incident very similar took place in Ohio.

So if you have not checked your dockside wiring or your boats 110, please do so and be safe.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Re: For those with Dock Power & Lifts

Post by Yannis »

I didnt know 110 v could kill.
We have 220 v and yes, this is a killer voltage, but 110 i thought would be just numbing and sour in the mouth.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most boat lifts are wired 230vac. being that they are mounted on pilings, the metal lift support bars thru the cables can become charged if a motor leaks or the wires become chaffed and the ground becomes disconnected. Otherwise the breaker would trip.

When the tide comes up the water around can become charged or if someone swimming grabs a cross bar for support, they become a path to ground.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

its not the voltage that kills you its the amperage
I saw this on the news also tragic accident
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

I should have said 110 and 220, but a lot of us don't have boat lifts and 220 at the dock, but we do have 110. 110 can kill, as Charlie says it is the amperage. Even 110 needs to be carefully checked. We take for granted all is fine until it happens.

Have a weak heart, even low amperage could kill you.

Have you ever been shocked by a spark plug wire? I have a number of times when I was younger. If I had a weak heart, I bet that could kill you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Nothing fills your shorts quicker than a spark plug wire shock! Well maybe except the time the old man caught me playing with matches, that was a pants filler too!
Pretty sad good info Tony.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

MarkS wrote:Nothing fills your shorts quicker than a spark plug wire shock!

Never got a shock from plug wire or tweaking distributor till I was having motor done on Vette.
Engine had just gone in and Russ was tweaking the timing...he loosens the distributor a bit and says he hates these HEI caps he always gets shocked...I looked at him funny, I used to tweak the timing with every tune up, never an issue. Sure enough he lets off an MotherF-er as he touches cap. After that time...I got my fair share of shocks from cap.

My favorite was welding up Home Brew Pots for customer. Plastic sight glass needed a SS tab welded to pot side towards the top, to hold in place. Fixtures were awkward so I opted to hold in place by hand...A Real fine weld was needed, so had to get in close...if arc struck tab before pot it was one hell of a shock to which I jumped sending the glass tube of sight glass across the shop.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

I was hit with 2400 v, back yard pole with transformer
putting primary tap on pot, bang arms went down and a warm feeling in my knee
were it came out, made it down, checked my rubber gloves and after about 20 minutes
found a pin hole but not all the way thru thank god, it picked up more of my sweat with the salt inside the gloves
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie J wrote:I was hit with 2400 v, back yard pole with transformer
putting primary tap on pot, bang arms went down and a warm feeling in my knee
were it came out, made it down, checked my rubber gloves and after about 20 minutes
found a pin hole but not all the way thru thank god, it picked up more of my sweat with the salt inside the gloves
I believe that would have been my last day doing that. In reality...there would not have been a first day. I hate heights and electric scares the poop out of me.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Back in the day of timing lights, sometimes the guy that worked for my father would cross the wires on the battery connection which would give you that spark plug jolt when you grabbed the gun. The dumb guy tells my father everything is ready to go. My father realized the wires were crossed and he told the guy you time the car.

Last time the guy ever crossed the wires.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315