Bulkhead Partial Replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Bulkhead Partial Replacement

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

I have wood rot at the bottom of the bulkheads. These photos are older, but show the problem. It's the bulkhead pieces where the bulkheads meet the flooring/hull bulkhead that have the rot. In the past, it was suggested I just carve the rot out and and fill with epoxy and cabosil. However, I have opportunity to replace the bulkheads more easily now because the interior is out and the cooling system, heads, and exhaust manifolds will all be off. My question is this: It appears the aft cabin bulkheads are made of two pieces; one that attaches to the hull, and the top piece that includes the windows that appears to mount with screws on both sides to the lower bulkhead piece. Is it as simple as unscrewing the upper bulkhead and swapping that piece out?

Thanks in advance.

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
jackryan

Re: Bulkhead Partial Replacement

Post by jackryan »

John,

I have the same issue on my bulkhead between the helm and the v-berth area. I was thinking about attacking that soon as well. I was considering using coosa board covered with fiberglass so I don't have to worry about rot again. Has anyone out there used coosa for this application?

JR
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

I used Coosa to replace the bulkhead just behind the engines. I used 3/4 Coosa but 1/2 should be plenty to support everything.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Johnv8r,
The bulkheads are 2 piece with a board that runs across where the engine box front rests on. Unscrew the board, measure and scribe the old plywood board at the bottom to get a good fit. I did the port side of my 31 years ago not a hard job, I used marine plywood covered in 2 layers of glass on each side, the bottom does not show on the inside of the cabin, it's hidden by the rear dinette cushion back rest. If you have the original fake teak veneer it will peel off with the use of a heat gun to soften the glue, then re-glue it. Use the widest blade putty knife you can get so you don't break the Formica Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61