Filling pinholes...best method?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CamB25

Filling pinholes...best method?

Post by CamB25 »

I spent all my boat cash on an engine, so my 25 is back home with me to finish priming and possibly paint. My builder was able to spray AllQuick and many gallons of 545 on the boat before I had to pull it. These materials filled most of the pinholes, but I still have many many to deal with as I block sand and continue the priming process.

I was told to use evercoat formula 27 to fill the pinholes before spraying more 545. It seems to be working, although the working time is extremely short and I am a little paranoid about using poly on an epoxy base. I am not grinding or otherwise propping before using the 27. Seems to fill and adhere fine. After sanding all that remains of the filler is in the pinhole. I'm not fairing the surface with this filler.

Anyone have a better method?

Thanks
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
ford351c594

Re: Filling pinholes...best method?

Post by ford351c594 »

I personally love evercoat, but it is very difficult to work with, short work time and doesn't sand easy. I switched to Duraglas, it is amazing and water proof and your local NAPA can get it. Work time is still a bit short, but it sands so much nicer. Lots of people say it doesn't feather easy, but I have never had that issue.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
CamB25

Re: Filling pinholes...best method?

Post by CamB25 »

thanks. I don't need to feather as I am not fairing, just plugging all the little holes. I haven't noticed any difficulty when sanding Formula 27.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi