B 35 Repower

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harris

B 35 Repower

Post by Harris »

I just found 2 yanmars 440 hp each with ZF 2.5:1, props, shafts, gauges etc., with 350 hrs from new at the amazing price of 30.000 EUROS (aprox. 33.000 am. dollars) and I 'm about to buy them to repower my B 35.
How does it look ? any sugestions ?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Wow, that sounds like a very decent deal. The Yanmar 440's have a solid reputation just make sure you get them checked out good. Also, consider how service is in your area. I went ahead with Cat3126's for my repower because of the service available. I also had them both checked out by one of the best shops on the east coast.

The 440 is only 2 inches longer than the Cat3126's I'm putting into my B35. On your side the yanmar is narrower and height is shorter. So it should fit just fine. I haven't installed mine yet but know of other B35 which have had them installed.

I know in my case with 420hp and 2:1 gears I had concerns about the size of prop I would have to swing and low speed handling. I'm in the Chesapeake Bay and the trolling speed for Rock Fish (stripers) is 1-3kts. So I'm having trolling valves installed @ $700 a side on ZF280 gears. Not really my first choice but it would have been 10 times that to buy new gears.

The other challenge is find a yard to do the work or one which will let you do the work.

In all it sounds like too good of a deal to pass up as long as you can swing the $$ end of it.

BR,
JohnD
Harris

Post by Harris »

Thank you JohnD.
Looking forward to buy them !