New 31 owner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tonym2112

New 31 owner

Post by Tonym2112 »

Hey y'all, I just bought a 31 FB project, been a boater all my life with center consoles and outboards. This will be a serious change. She has gas engines that will stay for now, but a lot of cosmetic improvements are needed. I'm sure I'll have questions I hope y'all can help me with. When I figure out how to post pics I'll put some up.
78 FB Cruiser SeaWA Protocol
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: New 31 owner

Post by mike ohlstein »

Welcome to the club.

There's a load of great information here. Use the search feature. Ask questions......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Welcome.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tony

Welcome. Just ask away. There is a wealth of knowledge here.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tonym2112 wrote:Hey y'all, I just bought a 31 FB project, been a boater all my life with center consoles and outboards. This will be a serious change. She has gas engines that will stay for now, but a lot of cosmetic improvements are needed. I'm sure I'll have questions I hope y'all can help me with. When I figure out how to post pics I'll put some up.
Definitely welcome to the sandbox and congrats on the new mistress...

IMHO you should start with the wiring... Run a few spare cables and leave a pull cord where necessary... Ripping open something you've already finished just because you need to run another wire or because you need to fix an electrical issue sucks!...
Last edited by Navatech on Feb 20th, '17, 09:30, edited 2 times in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new purchase!

Posting pics is a bit of a pain, but relatively simple. Open Photobucket or similar account online, use that account to download pictures you wish to post, then copy their link and paste in your post. First time you"lol say this is nuts...after that it's pretty ez.

I believe a link here goes into great detail about it.

As to boat, if it's safe and sound, use it, enjoy it and you'll soon know what improvements need to be done, what you'd like to see done and become more familiar with it.

This is a great place for good information so ask away!

Carl
Tonym2112

Post by Tonym2112 »

Thanks y'all, the first thing to get done is stuffing boxes and thru hulls. Read posts about rotten backing blocks on thru hulls. What thoughts are there about using 3/4 in. PVC board for replacing the wood blocks? What kind of sealer to glue them down?
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tonym2112 wrote:Thanks y'all, the first thing to get done is stuffing boxes and thru hulls. Read posts about rotten backing blocks on thru hulls. What thoughts are there about using 3/4 in. PVC board for replacing the wood blocks? What kind of sealer to glue them down?
I would use prefab 1/2" or 3/4" FRP panel for that... And I'd glue them to the hull with a thickened epoxy...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I just posted this link to another thread, but it applies here too...

http://bertram31.com/proj/struts/strut_backing.htm
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PVC board is too soft. You can crush it too easily. Go on to McMaster Carr website and you will find fiberglass plate you can cut to size and use.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tonym2112

Post by Tonym2112 »

Thanks y'all for the response, she's going into Saunders yacht works on the 28th for bottom paint shaft seals and thru hulls. Once these are done she can sit until winter so I can make a plan for upgrades and prioritize.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tonym2112 wrote:Thanks y'all for the response, she's going into Saunders yacht works on the 28th for bottom paint shaft seals and thru hulls. Once these are done she can sit until winter so I can make a plan for upgrades and prioritize.
Shaft seals, have you considered "dripless"?!... I made the change last time I was out of the water... I'm a happy camper!...

Thru hulls, have you considered Marelon?!... It's a change I'm thinking of doing next time I'm out of the water...