Happy (Jewish) New Year!...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Happy (Jewish) New Year!...

Post by Navatech »

Today is Jewish New year’s Eve so a happy, healthy and prosperous 5K and something to you and yours!...

Tony Meola

Re: Happy (Jewish) New Year!...

Post by Tony Meola »

Best wish's to all the faithful celebrating this time. Time to spend time with family and friends and reflect on the true meaning of this time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,
Happy new year !
(We also have this pomegranate custom whereby you break one inside the house and we wish that good things in the family be as many as the seeds...terrifying experience when it comes to collecting the seeds from everywhere...)
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav,
Happy new year !
(We also have this pomegranate custom whereby you break one inside the house and we wish that good things in the family be as many as the seeds...terrifying experience when it comes to collecting the seeds from everywhere...)
Maybe Greek Jews adopted the Greek custom of breaking them in the house... In Israel purists will "harvest" the seeds outside... Non purists like me?!.. We just go to the supermarket and get a plastic container with seeds :-))

You can make a nice liqueur by mixing sugar and seeds (the ratio is one cup of sugar to one cup of seeds) and let it ferment... It's also nice to throw a bunch of seeds into a salad...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Happy New Year to you and yours!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

happy new year
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,
I'm not talking about Greek jews. I'm talking about this as a Greek custom on new year's day.
I dont even know if its a religious thing. It could just be a traditional thing.

Thanks for the recipe, and you know, pomegranate is the best "anti free-radicals" agent, together with green tea.
What alcohol do you put in the mix, vodka?, rum?, I dont think I should spend time and effort to ferment a liquor without some...interest ha !
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:What alcohol do you put in the mix, vodka?, rum?, I dont think I should spend time and effort to ferment a liquor without some...interest ha !
No added alcohol... The sugar and the fermentation will result in (pretty high) alcohol content... Patience is a virtue :-))
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote:... Patience is a virtue :-))

Yannis...that feeling you just can't wait for the fermentation to take place is like us here Stateside waiting to hit 100kph in a Fiat Panda going uphill.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I saw that Fiat panda too.
It was pulling a horse trailer also. It had a hard time uphill, indeed !
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Here..... where we celebrate diversity....... let's take a moment to honor the customs of our brothers across the fence.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7166 ... -new-years
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I really don't consider myself a violent person, but I believe that some groups in this world, when they bring extreme violence against those they dislike, show that violence is all that they are capable of understanding, and the only way to stop their violence is to bring more extreme violence against them.

Sadly, this requires civilized societies to act like savages in order to maintain their civilization.

Putting the post above aside.. Happy New Year to our Jewish brothers and sisters.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!