Father & son trip SanFran,New York

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Father & son trip SanFran,New York

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi all, I am taking my 13 yr old son for a trip to San Fran and New York/Washington, and was hoping some of the faithful could suggest there favorite things to do and see, we are leaving New Zealand on Monday coming so all and any thoughts welcome
Regards Todd
Ps , we always love a great food experience too, so any tasty,fun food ideas would be great, when it comes to food you cant beat local knowledge
CamB25

Re: Father & son trip SanFran,New York

Post by CamB25 »

Washington: Air and Space museums are fun. There is one on the Mall downtown and another out next to Dulles airport. Spy museum is also good. 1001 things to do here depending on your preferences. If you want a unique experience, try to go to a baseball game in any of the cities!

When I'm in San Francisco I make sure to do two things...Buena Vista on the warf for Irish coffee, and I go to the top of the Mark Hopkins for a scotch and jazz. Probably not what your looking for with a 13 year old.

There are few faithful in these cities...maybe you can get a ride on a Bertram! San Francisco bay would be a great way to see the city.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

In NYC

Walk through Time Square at night
Go to the observation deck of the Empire State Building
Intrepid Museum (aircraft carrier on the west side)

Plenty of others but those are pretty cool for a 13 year old
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

https://youtu.be/Wu7C_qDC8Tc
May I make a suggestion so father AND son will love it! Capt will spin this 70footer out all while enjoying the scenery of SF bay. Also depending on specific day your here AT&T park for a baseball game would be fun. After Rocket boat strolling through pier39 to the exploritorium I'm sure would strike the fun factor again!
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Todd,

NYC is so huge (as Trump would say). Def Times Square, Intrepid.
WTC Freedom Tower is open for observation deck. Ferry to Staten Island is FREE and leaves from Battery Park every 30 minutes or so. You pass right by Statue of Liberty and on return trip you get a view of the NYC skyline that you wont believe.

I would also recommend the double decker sightseeing bus. They will atleast take you all over the large city and even into Brooklyn. So going across one of the historical Bridges would be cool for your little guy. Bike riding in Central Park and Museum of Natural History with tons of cool stuff to see, for example Dinosaur bones and knights in shining armor and chivalry etc....

San Francisco is beautiful as well, cable car rides, Lombard Street (crookedest street in the world, maybe they can rename it Hillary st hahaha), Telegraph hill, Alcatraz (need prior reservations in advance, like call now!), Fishermans Wharf just to name a few...

Good Luck

Frank
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

in NYC ... I always liked the CIRCLELINER boat ride around Manhattan on a nice day.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

What is your schedule like, and more specifically, when will you be in NYC?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Museum of Natural History, Hayden Planetarium, Bronx Zoo, and of course Yankee Stadium!!
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

A tear jerker, but the 911 Memorial in NYC - may need reservations but can see it on line. Very powerful.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Post by Carl »

Being 20 minutes as the crow flies from Manhattan I can safely say the best thing I like about NYC is leaving it.
Although with traffic it can be more like an hour...or two.

That said, if downtown around the battery, Staten Island Ferry is a nice ride past Miss Liberty...and its free DO NOT BUY TICKETS, even at half price. Circle line is an OK trip around Manhattan...but I'd rather do a trip to the Liberty Island and climb up stairs to crown...but takes hours. Lots of waiting in line.

Intrepid museum is nice...they have the Space Shuttle exhibit is open now too, a submarine...

Museum of Natural History if your son likes dinosaurs. But takes hours to see and if like my kids, once past that part they were looking to leave. Then again my kids did class trip there..so its been seen.

Times Square at night to say you have been there (overrated in my mind unless you like crowds and lights)...Little Italy, Chinatown. Some good places there to eat...Il Cortile comes to mind if you like Italian. Chinese, the city never sleeps- open 24 hours is Wo Hop..greasy...but always open with people. Pings Seafood for...well seafood and Dim Sum.

Like steak? Peter Lugers is a favorite...just over Williamsburg Bridge in Brooklyn...but book early. Also Old Homestead and Delmonico's are good...bring an appetite and a fat wallet.

I hear the plays on Broadway are great...I had a few very enjoyable, the rest not so much. Not thinking 13 year old boy thrills. But in that area...if you like very generous portions of Italian family style at fair pricing Carmines.

If you like historical wooden Roller Coasters...then a trip to Coney Islands, Cyclone Coaster, grab a Nathans hots dog and fries then enjoy the other amusement rides at Luna Park. New York Aquarium right next door...FYI- less then the best neighborhood!

Empire State Building...observation deck...kinda kid cool.

Helicopter ride over...nope, no more,,,but you can still go around the city and Miss Liberty.

911 Memorial, no reservations required, just walk up. I was there a couple weeks ago...can't determine what I feel/felt about it. The museum does charge $24.00 admission, we didn't do that part.

Personally, I am not a fan of the place...but have had some good times. Some of the best were just walking around with friends, family and finding street entertainers to watch, toss a few bucks into the hat and move on...get hungry walk into a spot that looks good. Sometimes its a hit...other times not so much.

I'd say skip any thought of renting a car and "driving" if you had that idea. Subways, cabs and feet...

How long are you staying? where abouts are you staying?
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks for the feed back guys, we arrive in San Fran on the 20th and NY on the 24th, for 4 nights very excited, we have 2 nights in Washington then we are of to japan, should be fun
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/ferry/rocketboat/
Get there before wind kicks up say first ticket times.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

many thanks to all for the great ideas, its going to be a lot of fun, cheers to all