An antifouling question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tooeez

An antifouling question

Post by Tooeez »

It's just coming up on a year since my move to Florida, and so far I don't have a single barnacle anywhere on the hull. The running gear, however, is a different story: everything metal below the waterline looks like a barnacle farm unless I get under the boat and scrape every 6 weeks or so. The hull is painted with Pettit copper-based paint. There seem to be a lot of special prop and running gear coatings; does anybody have any experience with any of them?
Carl

Re: An antifouling question

Post by Carl »

Prop Speed

Pricey and a good amount of effort to apply...but its about the only thing my dad found that really keeps his running gear clear of growth in Florida.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Thanks--it figures that the most expensive and most difficult to use product is what I need!!
When I was researching this I came across an article suggesting coating all the metal with barrier coat, to provide insulation between the copper paint and the more noble metals it is painted on. I never considered this would pose a problem, though it seems really obvious when it is pointed out. I guess up north, between the colder water and short season, that the galvanic reaction didn't have enough time to run its' course. Anybody ever try barrier coat under the running gear antifoul?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have good luck with petit zinc coating up here in nj. It is popular in the marina I use.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315