Fiberglass tank ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Fiberglass tank ?

Post by Capt. DQ »

In my B31 redo going on, my (2)- 60 gal. fiberglass saddle tanks which were outside in the sunlight for about 6-8 months after Ivan because of no place else to store them. I pulled the fillers & pick-ups out to do inspection on the inside of the tanks, getting ready to install them back in the boat.

What I have found...? is a blue/green faded color of gelcoat or paint I don't know which for sure flaking on the insides of the tank. Now my question is, can I just brush & clean the flaking off inside and reinstall for diesel fuel and not gasoline which what use to be used in those saddle tanks or what?

These are not factory Bertram tanks. The tanks are going to be used as fuel transfer tanks to the main factory 180gal Bertram factory tank with fuel filters being used of course.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

DQ,
My first instinct would be to ask a tank pro in fiberglass. Call Richard Kidd at Bertram then any fiberglass tank manufacturer should be able to give a good honest opinion on that one. My gut feeling is if it's flaking you would want to remove it and re coat the tank with vinyl ester or something else. I'm not a glass man so ask a good glass person that makes tanks. Google for FB tank manufacturers Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks for the reply Capt. Dave, took the tanks to a friend of a friend who is a fiberglass guru and got him to inspect them and his answer was clean them out and put them in and go for it with diesel only, no gasoline which that was never going to happen again anyway with diesel engines.

Hope everything is going better for you.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!